Spectrodensitometer

marcusborg

Hello, could not find a suitable category so put this in off-topic.

Anyway, I'm studying at Malmö University Sweden. I have a course in managed printinging processes at the moment.

I need to find out more about how a spectrodensitometer work and what it is used for. In the literature I have I can find plenty of information about densitometers and spectrophotometers but almost nothing about spectrodensitometers. I have been looking a bit on the web but found mostly information about certain brands.

Any information would be helpful.

Best Regards

/Marcus Borg

Pretty sure spectodensitometer is fancy for densitometers. I see on Xrite site they call a 504 and the 530 spectodensitometers. We have both and there is a night and day difference what the 530 will do over the 504.

If it's a true spectrodensitometer, then it has the capabilities to read both ink density values as well as LAB values.

Spectrodensitometer

A Spectrodensitometer is distinct from a standard densitometer by nature of it's design. Traditionally densitometers used 3 or 4 filters to obtain a fixed status response (T,E,A etc). Today's evolution of this design are the densitometers that use colored LED's to recreate particular Status responses.

A Spectrodensitometer instead is a full spectrophotometer in design and uses the spectrally based weighting tables for Status densitometry which should ensure tighter adherence to the specification, and the flexibility to set multiple Status responses as required.

These instruments are usually defined more by the available feature set as RGPW17100 says the 500 series offers instruments with density only features all the way to full spectral reporting.

Spectrodensitometer

A densitometer uses a light source and three filters to measure the amount of light reflected from a sample.
A sphere spectrophotometer uses a light source and a reflecting sphere, equipped with a detector, to measure the percent reflectance across the whole visible spectrum. From that information it can calculate the filter response of a densitometer.
In my experience, it is more common for printers to use density, in the U.S. Status T, for on press process control. They measure the tone tabs.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back