SpectroProofer® 44" - UV (SP9890 only)

M&M Displays

Just bought an Epson 9890 (44 inch) to replace our 10600 for proofing. Anyone using the built in Spectro? How do you like it?

Thanks

I have a 9900 with integrated Spectro. It isn't worth buying if you aren't going to drive it with a RIP that certifies proofs.

I have a 9900 with integrated Spectro. It isn't worth buying if you aren't going to drive it with a RIP that certifies proofs.

Thanks
We are using EFI 4.5.2 to drive our three printers (Vutek, HP & Epson). I can buy the Spectro for $1500.00. I just found out theirs one catch...... We need to buy the Color Verify "Modual" from EFI for $1000.000. EFI really gets you coming and going

Thanks
We are using EFI 4.5.2 to drive our three printers (Vutek, HP & Epson). I can buy the Spectro for $1500.00. I just found out theirs one catch...... We need to buy the Color Verify "Modual" from EFI for $1000.000. EFI really gets you coming and going

We have an Epson 9900 in our showroom with the inline spectro. We are driving it via Kodak Proofing Software for Matchprint Inkjet. The Epson SpectroProofer is used to automatically calibrate (re-linerize) every 7 days (beats doing it manually via the Eye One or even with our Eye One IO table).

Most manufacturers and or vendors sell optional extras as a way to reduce the entry price and or as a further revenue source, and they may have to pass on additional third party costs in the optional extra (such as a license from say Fogra).

We also certify proofs with the inline spectro. Basic version of KPS does not come with proof certification. Commercial and Packaging editions of KPS come with the ability to perform proof certifications at no extra cost. One can create custom in-house standards to check against. Or one can certify proofs to an optionally licensed (separate purchase) industry standard, using a licensed colour bar from Fogra.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Well worth the $2,500.00 if you are primarily proofing CMYK and hold to a standard like GRACoL7 + G7. My experience with the 9900 has been that it has never needed a recalibration (been in use for 9 months) and has remained incredibly consistent short a few inkjet head clogs.

Every proof that comes out of my proofer is certified and logged.

We have a Epson 7900 with built in spectro which runs on GMG software, I would say it is better than having to manual calibrate however it does have some pit falls to be aware off. The chart used to calibrate the inline spectro is lot bigger than a chart for a iO table or ISIS so you get through more paper. The cost for certifying the spectro which should be done every 12 months is lot more than a handheld device and has to go through Epson, you can't go direct to X-rite.

On occasion we have arrived in the morning to find it has run the maximum amount if reiterations because a nozzle is blocked but it keeps going until paper runs out or the maximum amount if reiterations is reached!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back