Spine cracking

THere is an issue of cracking of spine of cover ( coated papera)for magazines after saddle stitching. This was folded on the run in Motter folder attached to the high speed press.

Is it being folded against the grain? Is there a heavy varnish on it? Is it C1S that's perhaps a little too thick?

spine cracking

spine cracking

It is not against the grain. There is heavy inking in the signature that is printed and folded(Motter folder) in heatset web press

Are you scoring? I would think so...

I am a sheetfed printer but we do trade work for a large web house near us.
We have run into similar issues when they supply printed sheets and believe it is caused by the sheet being "dried" out running on a heatset web. It gets brittle and just cracks.
We have started printing the covers sheetfed for them and that seems to make all the difference in the world.

This may not be the answer but I hope it helps.

Just my $.02 cents. Maybe a web guru can chime in?

Greg

Cracking at the Fold

Cracking at the Fold

Hello Suresh

Is the Cracking at the fold visible on Signature coming off the Press - OR only visible on Saddle Stitching ????????????????

Regards, Alois

Last edited:
Change paper stock, insist upon it if you have the leverage. Have a paper supplier get involved to do do some testing. They'll know a remedial substrate. D

Spine Cracking

Spine Cracking

Hi There. We all experience the same thing due to different circumstances, mostly design, heavy coverage and grain issues. What I have found that works is a little outside the box because it actually tricks the mind. Place a half point white rule down the spine of the covers that are to be folded. While flat this may look like a mistake, but once folded it disappears due to the way the light hits the cover. Even when looked at directly the rule just looks like a naturally occurring highlight caused by the light. Your covers won't crack anymore.
Or at least no one will see it. Good luck! :D

There is heavy inking due to heavy image ; after print a minute cracking of ink is seen, but pulling apart the cover by holding at the ends is not that easy. Even after saddle stitching it doesn't get separated. The separation takes place after a couple of days when the magazine is in the market

suresh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back