Spot Gloss AQ?

A new client has sent me some specs for a job that they have produced previously.
It is a 44 page book that is 4/4 process and they are asking for Spot Gloss AQ on every page throughtout. I don't think this is possible to do unless one gets some kind of special plates that I am not aware of. I think that they mean Spot Gloss Varnish.
Am I missing something here that someone else can do?
Your expert direction would be helpful!

They may of used 'drip off' on the previous job which would give a spot varnish effect.

rich.

A new client has sent me some specs for a job that they have produced previously.
It is a 44 page book that is 4/4 process and they are asking for Spot Gloss AQ on every page throughtout. I don't think this is possible to do unless one gets some kind of special plates that I am not aware of. I think that they mean Spot Gloss Varnish.

You can do spot aqueous coatings by cutting away (with a special computer-driven cutter) the areas on the blanket where you don't want the coating to be. It's expensive to do. Can you get a sample to confirm that the previously printed version really was spot aqueous and not spot gloss?

best, gordon p

Gord's correct, we cut our blankets using a CAD cutter which cuts out the areas that are not to be coated, you need a special 'strippable' blanket for this.This is ok for general purpose spot coating for most applications but if you require a high degree of registration then you need to use a Photopolymer plate.

Another option is to use a strike through Matte varnish in line with gloss aqueous. In this scenario you would hit everything with the strike through varnish that is not suppose to be gloss. Problem with this is if the job is a long run you will be using a lot of varnish plus it only really works on a gloss sheet.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back