Step and Repeat Imposition non rectangular shapes

Hi,

We currently use a vendor for offset label printing, but intend to do inhouse short run digital label printing. We print numerous labels, but some labels do not follow a regular rectangular shape. There are a lot of imposition software tools out there that handle rectangular shapes, but I am having trouble finding ones that handle irregular shapes. If I use the current rectangular tools, there will be a lot of sheet wastage. I am requiring a tool that will provide a step and repeat pdf file that I can then print. This will request the standard inputs of the sheet size etc, the label file (pdf form), and then it will step and repeat/populate the same label across the entire sheet depending on the input parameters, creating a pdf file which I can then RIP and print. I have attached a sample of the label shape and the arrangement in 1sqm, this sample shows the die cut lines and in between would be the bleed. I have also attached a sample of one of our labels, we have a lot of labels that use the same shapes. If I need to print for a different plant (with the same shape), I will then follow the same process as above, but it will populate the different label. Adobe Acrobat plug in possibly as I would work with PDFs, Coreldraw or Illustrator.

I hope you understand my request. Possibly there is already affordable software out there, if that is the case, please let me know and I will be grateful.

Alex

Attachments

• Basil Greek PP-E1011 (front).pdf
    349.8 KB · Views: 190
  • Push In Outline 1sqm.pdf
    148.8 KB · Views: 191
Looks like a nightmare imposition. Why not use the transformation tool in CorelDraw and manually do it. Seem like an easier solution, and less expensive.

But the question,is the cost of the software worth the few minutes that the imposition can be done by hand?

Not sure the solution suggested by "calo" is the correct Esko solution for your situation. You obviously are not looking for the "best fit", but to step to the die spec's given you in the PDF of the die.
Labels and Tags are two of the things Esko does extremely well. If that is a sizeable part of your business you may want to at least hear what Esko has to offer. Use Packaging and Printing Pre-media Solutions - Esko to get in touch with someone in your region. I can pretty much guess that an Esko solution can cut down the time you spend in S&R by at least 90%. Sad part is yes, it's an investment. But only you can determine if it would be worth it. Best of luck.

Looks like a nightmare imposition. Why not use the transformation tool in CorelDraw and manually do it. Seem like an easier solution, and less expensive.

I will be doing a lot of these shapes with various images, I cannot see it being feasible to do them manually every time. If there was some way of creating a template and importing the image to populate the sheet/template, would've been good.

Thanks, I will be doing a lot of these labels and tags in various shapes, minimizing material wastage is paramount, I may need to look into what esko has to offer, in the meantime, I would need to revert to the basic rectangular/square form step and repeat imposition software. Are there any freeware versions?, I downloaded a trial version of Quite Imposing, it seems ok.

Cute PDF is a very low cost plug in for Acrobat. The down side would be to creat the template the first time you will need to do a bit of math.

Absolutely Imposing, $450, for MAC or for Windows. It is the best professional imposition plug-in for Acrobat. You can request a trial license from our web site www .imposition.com

Ray Duval
Ultimate Technographics

Ray, does Absolutely handle "Step and Repeat Imposition non rectangular shapes" as the OP requested? I was under the impression that it does not dovetail irregular shapes to maximise sheet use or snap art to pre-stepped dies etc. Stuff that is a base requirement for the packaging sector. If you check out the sample files in the original post, can you please provide a sample and info on how to do this in Absolutely?

Stephen Marsh

Stephen, I'll be glad to assist the OP. Since they are looking for a low price solution, features in any solutions will be limited.

According to your profile, you work for a vendor. We would be glad to have (as anyone else on this forum) your full company disclosure. Thanks.

Ray

Last edited:
Stephen, I'll be glad to assist the OP. Since they are looking for a low price solution, features in any solutions will be limited.

According to your profile, you work for a vendor. We would be glad to have (as anyone else on this forum) your full company disclosure. Thanks.

Ray

Thanks for the reply Ray. I have used and liked AbsolutelyImposing when I was working for a small offset/digital print shop. We did not produce packaging, so I was mostly concerned with booklet impositions when I was using your software. I like to keep up with the capabilities of different software, which is why I asked about how your software does this or if you could provide info or a sample such as the OP provided. This would be of interest to the OP, myself and the forum - so it should not matter where the request comes from.

Yes, I currently work for a packaging sector solutions vendor. We are a Kodak Master Distributor, however we do sell and support products from other companies too.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back