Stitching problem with Duplo DBM-120

sidneykidney

Hi Everyone,

Lately I've been having problems with my Duplo DBM-120 booklet maker. Around 3 in every 10 books are not closing properly once stapled through. I've changed staple heads but this doesn't make any difference. Attached is a picture showing the problem. I also have a 2nd Duplo DBM-120 booklet maker which I could use for spare parts if anyone knows what the problem might be.

Attachments

• photo7045.jpg
    photo7045.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 620
I agree with Inkscape. Another possibility - we had a DBM 120 for many years, and have seen the clinchers get worn or gunked up. They can be taken apart and cleaned, but be careful with the tiny screws and other parts. A new clincher was $400+ last time I checked.

Thanks. I've already tried moving the clincher out of position and then placing it back again, but still the same problem. I was also looking at taking it apart but the screws are so small that if they drop into the booklet maker, it can be a nightmare looking for them. The positioning of the clincher also looks very awkward to get to.

Thanks. I've already tried moving the clincher out of position and then placing it back again, but still the same problem. I was also looking at taking it apart but the screws are so small that if they drop into the booklet maker, it can be a nightmare looking for them. The positioning of the clincher also looks very awkward to get to.

You'll want to remove the clincher assembly, then disassemble it (the small screws) to inspect it. Look at the attached parts diagram. The bolt that goes through collar item #10 - there are two of them that hold the clincher in. You just need to LOOSEN these bolts to lift out the clincher. You'll have to remove a few guides to gain easier access to those bolts. Good luck.

Pages from Duplo DBM120 Parts.pdf

Attachments

• Pages from Duplo DBM120 Parts.pdf
    106.8 KB · Views: 600
It is not the positioning of the clinchers that you can adjust but the bar that holds the staplers. Are the staples lining up on the fold and does the paper fold square? If so you have to adjust both sides a little. It is not that hard to do, once you take the covers off you can easily get to the adjustment screws.

One thing you could try that might be a quick fix if haven't already tried that is to swap the staple heads around.

Last edited:
It is not the positioning of the clinchers that you can adjust but the bar that holds the staplers. Are the staples lining up on the fold and does the paper fold square? If so you have to adjust both sides a little. It is not that hard to do, once you take the covers off you can easily get to the adjustment screws.

One thing you could try that might be a quick fix if haven't already tried that is to swap the staple heads around.

The clinchers on the DBM120 have to be manually moved as you move the position of the staple cartridges. There is a tool for this that is meant to be used by the operator. It is a little tricky to get the clincher lined up perfectly beneath the stapler. I have seen myself when they are not lined up exactly, and the end result is a misshapen staple in the booklet.

The clinchers on the DBM120 have to be manually moved as you move the position of the staple cartridges. There is a tool for this that is meant to be used by the operator. It is a little tricky to get the clincher lined up perfectly beneath the stapler. I have seen myself when they are not lined up exactly, and the end result is a misshapen staple in the booklet.

I wasn't talking about the front to back adjustment. What I was talking about is the left to right adjustment.

Latest news...Attached are some pictures of the screws which I adjusted. Not sure if they were the correct screws which I was supposed to adjust or not but IT WORKED!!!
I've put through about stapled sheets and I had a slight kink on 1 of the sides of the staple I then turned the left screw a bit more and it was perfect. I will only know if this is the answer when I run a proper job with 100+ booklet or more. I will then update you all. Thank you all for your help. Hope to help you guys sometime too!!!

Attachments

• photo7047.jpg
    photo7047.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 503
  • photo7048.jpg
    photo7048.jpg
    558.8 KB · Views: 523
Those screws hold the bracket that the stapler hooks into. I can see where if they were loose you'd have a problem. For what it's worth, I have had the bracket crack on me several times over the years, but not break off where the problem would've been obvious. In any event, I'm glad that it appears your issue is resolved.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back