Suggestions for plotter negatives?

chad.trent

We print flexo onto corrugated.

We are currently using an Epson 9890 and FilmMaker RIP software to make our negatives, and it's not working for us for a number of reasons. We are looking to upgrade our system with either a new RIP, new printer, or both. Because of the size we need I believe an imagesetter is not within our budget.

The problem we are having is getting consistent dots for screens (we need to be able to run up to 85 lpi) and we are not getting accurate dimensions. For example, we have a barcode with an x dimension of .016". It's measuring .026" on the film negative, and .030" when run as a positive.

So this system isn't working, and we can't find anyone that knows about the RIP software we have (it was here before I got here - no idea where it came from). We are looking for suggestions for new software/hardware. Needs to have a minimum width of 32".

Thanks in advance for any input.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but check out this link:
Screen Printing Film and Flexo Printing Film - OYO Thermal Film for Screen Printers

I have a similar issue with attempting to run die lines on clear substrate using our Epsons. I cannot get a truly accurate sizing and the output varies from plot to plot. I have to keep a Screen filmsetter w/ processor up and running just for this purpose...it's rather wasteful between power, film, chemistry and maintenance, yet I haven't found a viable alternative. The option of the above link can't really be justified for my purposes since I have an operating filmsetter already.

Have you tried the support link / find a dealer link on: FilmMaker CDlink appears to be the company that makes and sells FilmMaker.

Regarding your bar growth, we also have that, to much less degree, using imagesetter film. Bar width reduction (BWR) is a common procedure to compensate for growth between original file, plate and press. If the bar growth is repeatable, then testing for the proper BWR is the step to take.

There is an option in the LFP Remote Control Panel to adjust the paper feed of the SP9890. This way you can "correct" any mismatch of the prints dimensions. Similar adjustment should be available in your RIP software. This is related to the material you use to print so, look at the corresponding dialog of your RIP.

Hope it helps

After talking to the company that makes the RIP software, the version we have isn't compatible with the printer we are using. We would need to upgrade for them to give us any support.

The software doesn't impress me at all, so if we are going to buy new software, I want to buy something better. We have used Harlequin RIPs at every place I've been before coming here. I know RTI makes one jsut for this printer. That may be what we look into.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back