Switch / EAL idea - thoughts?

kaiserwilhelm

Pitstop Pro now as the ability to look for a graphic and detect if it is a known graphic.
I want to do the following and am wondering the feasibility. You all might shoot a hole in it quickly before I waste time.

Say I have five dies. I make five 2D barcodes say .5 x .5. I go into Illustrator and on the outside of the die I place 2D#1 on die#1
Identical X and Y I now do the same for 2-5

I then have a Switch flow where I have it use an EAL to look for 2D (graphic) number 1. If it finds, it goes down path 1. Etc, etc.

The idea here is that I do not trust the die that is put onto the run ready PDF. IF I can "see" the 2D then I know that is DIE#1.
*NOT looking to read the contents of the 2D. Looking at the 2D as a graphic only

IMHO it is viable, but why trust the barcode more than the graphic itself? Both will be put in place by some colleague, who will be responsible for the die and the barcode, too.

I think you might be over complicating it.
Why bother using a graphic or a barcode when you can do it by adding a line of text instead.
Add a line of text on the file with the die, put it somewhere consistent

Then use the EAL
- Select text by key phrase (look for the text you can use a variable if you want)
- Log Selection, log if it's found or not found (you can warn/error on it and it will be logged as well in the report if you want with a message of your choosing)

Just make sure the text is a single line, not broken into characters.
It will be faster than the other methods as well as they are raster based, with this approach you don't need to convert to an image.
You can speed the action up even further if you add a 'Select objects inside or outside a region'.
Then you can make sure it looks in a specific place rather than analysing the whole page

- Select text by key phrase
- Select objects inside or outside a region
- AND
- Log Selection

I think you might be over complicating it.
Why bother using a graphic or a barcode when you can do it by adding a line of text instead.
Add a line of text on the file with the die, put it somewhere consistent

Then use the EAL
- Select text by key phrase (look for the text you can use a variable if you want)
- Log Selection, log if it's found or not found (you can warn/error on it and it will be logged as well in the report if you want with a message of your choosing)

Just make sure the text is a single line, not broken into characters.
It will be faster than the other methods as well as they are raster based, with this approach you don't need to convert to an image.
You can speed the action up even further if you add a 'Select objects inside or outside a region'.
Then you can make sure it looks in a specific place rather than analysing the whole page

- Select text by key phrase
- Select objects inside or outside a region
- AND
- Log Selection
Thanks Andrew!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back