Technical paper: Ink - Fillers used in ink

Testing a filler for offset printing with a test set using only the cyan that already has 4% Kaolin as an additive and then doing the test without any water or fountain solution. We only did cyan ink

Go to the following pages in the report.

"page 110 Materials and equipment

page 112 Sun Ink with 4%Kaolin used as a base for the test

page 115

IGT AIC2-5 of Metropolia comes without the possibility to use dampening solution, and therefore no tests can be made to study the ink/water emulsification. This is one aspect that has to be considered when interpreting the result part of
this study.

page 131

•  The IGT-printability tester used offered no opportunity to use dampening

solution; hence no information is available whether the fillers impact on ink/water emulsification which is substantial part of the offset lithograph"

Well we did this test and here are our conclusions but we didn't use any water or fountain solution and our starter inks set already had 4% kaolin so we really couldn't tell how the additive work by itself but we know how it works with Kaolin without any water or fountain solution. We only did cyan ink and don't have any idea how the new filler reacts with yellow or magenta or black.

Last edited:
Yes Green printer you are correct, it's not realy giving results for the real world. Although the artical is still good and gives you some technical info Re: inks & their composition.
I must say by the time i got to the end of the paper, my head hurt..

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back