The Expert Response

gordo

276%20The%20Expert%20Response_zpsjfbluetu.jpg

It is a problem. :)

So the right answer is not much better than a wrong answer if there is no true understanding. I guess for an expert, any answer that has the sound of being right, because it is similar to all the wrong answers given in the past, is the one that will be happily accepted, even if not understood. This is a gold mine for consultants.

Innovations are not understood but they are accepted at the point where they are being sold or already used. It takes thinking to understand issues but it does not take any thinking to accept something that is already being shown to be useful. :)

The real problem is the professionals who don't know how to properly ask a question.

This is so true.

I am interested in future potential technologies to solve practical problems and this requires some level of theoretical abstract thinking. It would be nice to get questions that were interesting even though they might be a bit foolish, but in the almost 20 years trying to get new ideas moving forward, I have not been able to find hardly any people who can ask a good interesting question. Most don't ask about anything.

In the more practical questions I see on this forum and on other forums, some people think other people are "mind readers" when asking questions. They have some problem, that they don't explain it in any detail, but they still ask for advice.

There is an art in asking good questions.

I learned early on that the only prople that can formulate a proper question are the people who already know the answer.

I learned early on that the only prople that can formulate a proper question are the people who already know the answer.

Not true, an intelligent question requires the specifics to solve or to move solving the problem forward. My Microsoft isn't working, how do I fix, it is an example of a unintelligent question. My Microsoft Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit fully updated, running Adobe Illustrator 6 fully updated, crashes when I do (Example of steps) would be an example of an intelligent question.

Not true, an intelligent question requires the specifics to solve or to move solving the problem forward. My Microsoft isn't working, how do I fix, it is an example of a unintelligent question. My Microsoft Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit fully updated, running Adobe Illustrator 6 fully updated, crashes when I do (Example of steps) would be an example of an intelligent question.

Why so serious?
If your question requires that I ask you a question then has your question been formulated properly?

Last edited:
Why so serious?
If your question requires that I ask you a question then has your question been formulated properly?

Because our profession has become a joke, I'm on this forum, a couple Adobe forums, a couple Corel forums and 98% o rmore of the users have NO TRAINING in graphic or speaking. We laugh at it because there's no other way to deal with it.

Because our profession has become a joke, I'm on this forum, a couple Adobe forums, a couple Corel forums and 98% o rmore of the users have NO TRAINING in graphic or speaking. We laugh at it because there's no other way to deal with it.

Yup, that's the truth of it. And it's not always the users only.
Hence RE:print :)

Gordo I used to give advice (as I do business in over 80 countries ) on certain usually specific details, to consult your local output provider. I rarely can do that now. My regular nightmares start with a designer and Adobe products, my Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gasey class of nightmares start with a designer, a MAC and an Adobe product and end with some prepress person who can only do the 4 things they've been told. I'll keep you posted but I'm going to a GRACoL training session later this year and I have few hopes but I need to at least see what they're up to.

This is so true that it is frightening.
Even more frightening: those without training often do not possess the urge to better themselves or just think about a process and if there might be a better way to do it than how they are doing it now. So they don't even ask questions.
Case in point:
Design a catalogue for professional car repair tools. All pages should have a light blue background. How do you do that in any page layout program? Right, you place all images, texts etc. on the page and then draw light blue lines between those to "make the background light blue". On 256 pages. Over 100 lines per page, sometimes not even straight. And you align them by looking at the page at 85% zoom level. That was from a "professional" graphic designer that somehow graduated in this profession. I have no idea how.

Dan:
Thanks for this link on (How to ask a Question). this will help a lot.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back