The Future of the Newspaper Industry

HachiZenki

I was talking to our press supervisor telling him what I thought the future of newspapers were going to be. I said that the future was going to be outsourcing of production and packaging. Similar to what AMD did when they split their chip design and chip manufacturing operations, I think the future lies in having large printing and packaging facilities to service local dalies in central locations. That way newspapers would only consist of a front office and newsrooms. They would then contract out their printing and packaging to print facilities that also did commercial work. I think that way you could force thru reforms in the newspaper industry to standardize formats thereby giving these printing companies leverage against their paper (seen the cost of newsprint lately?) and ink suppliers. What do you guys think?

My first thought is look at the enormous amount of infastructure that these media giants have to produce a newspaper. It goes way above my head but there are already plenty of 100,000 sqft. buildings vacant in the USA. Either way this shakes out over the next 10 years it ain't gonna be pretty. That much is guaranteed. I know of good running GOSS that just got scrapped because of capacity. They couldn't get rid of it any other way.

When Japanese invent soft folding/rolling screens (11"X 14" size), the future of printed newspaper will be over.
People will pay and download data via satellite to read news, sitting in city buses, subway or suburban trains during their trips to workplace and back.
I think 2014 gonna be an year of printed newspaper funeral.
All we need to be printed - banknotes :D ...and packaging never die!

Last edited:
Unfortunately the Japanese newspapers aren't in any better shape. Because of their distribution system right now the problems are being somewhat masked but as their population is actually shrinking it'll get worse for sure.

I mean: "digital" newspapers are going to replace printed ones. When monitors convert into something light, cheap and transforming in size, new special POD generation will replace papers.
Going green, save tree and bla-bla-bla...

On other hand many analists predicted a rebirth of the printed media… Like a dying elephant, newspapers should know that their time is ending and head slowly to that place where papers die. Nobody can tell when exactly "the funeral" will be.

Last edited:
Funerals happen weekly here in the US, focused primarily on weekly Times, weekend-only editions, and specialty rags. But don't fool yourself, the big boys are loosing market share at an alarming rate and consolidating or folding. All fueled by online bullet points, blurbs, blogs, and uploaded video. Why waste your money on well investigated journalism when you can listen/watch your neighbor's rant on his blog? It takes no time, money, or investment in thought. Critical thinking goes right out the window since there isn't enough credible information to form into a coherent sentence, much less an opinion.

I want information, opinion, objective discussion, discourse, dialogue, and above all some rational investigation into the world I live in and what's driving it. I used to get that from the evening news (anyone else miss Walter Cronkite?) and the daily paper. Instead, today I'm stuck reading about the latest reality TV "star" and their failed marriage while I'm throttled to death by a crotch shot of some celebrity stepping out of a limo (over and over again).

I fear that eReaders (no matter what physical format or manufacturer) will only prolong the death spasms of the newspaper industry without adding any value to the message.

Mark H

Yes the big boy papers are dying while losing market share (with the exception of prolly the Washington Post. But really they're a diversified company so other divisions can make up for shortfalls in the printed division). That was another thing our press supervisor was saying. He thought the future was brighter for the smaller local papers rather than the big guys (with the exception of the WSJ). Not many people would be interested in reading about local zoning law changes in Podunk USA on the web but it would still be of interest to the local readers.

I was talking to our press supervisor telling him what I thought the future of newspapers were going to be. I said that the future was going to be outsourcing of production and packaging. Similar to what AMD did when they split their chip design and chip manufacturing operations, I think the future lies in having large printing and packaging facilities to service local dalies in central locations. That way newspapers would only consist of a front office and newsrooms. They would then contract out their printing and packaging to print facilities that also did commercial work. I think that way you could force thru reforms in the newspaper industry to standardize formats thereby giving these printing companies leverage against their paper (seen the cost of newsprint lately?) and ink suppliers. What do you guys think?

It totally depends on market conditions.

I've worked for several major (about 10) Top UK National and regional Newspapers both under contract and as an employee and I can say with some confidence that it depends on several factors

1. Market conditions
2. Business Model
3. Business Objectives
3. Investment Opportunities
4. ROI

One company the Guardian went from one model format to Berliner and I was there from the transition before to several years after.

Many of the regional newspapers have started to outsource now due to costs and market conditions. But companies like the guardian who changed their format have consolidated their London plant while letting their Manchester plant in the north out to waste.

They spent $160,000,000 on equipment to refocus their business model and objectives. Having to consider the company went from an impartial "Trust" to being a commercial business model. Their online focus for news and media gave Guardian Media Group one of the most visited websites in the country. However they stupidly ignored having any achievable commercial business model from that business. This has all been done over the last three to four years of trading.

Much of their London Plant's trading (Packaging and delivery) is done on an agency style business.

News International who produce The Times, Sun, News of the World and others outsource their entire pre-press (12 x ctp lines) including the staff it is all outsourced in a five year deal to the lowest bidder.

The only employees of this $700,000,000 plant is the line managers and printers.However they print a variety of National Titles and the plant is so huge they had to install a new TV transmitter for residents nearby.

I mean: "digital" newspapers are going to replace printed ones. When monitors convert into something light, cheap and transforming in size, new special POD generation will replace papers.
Going green, save tree and bla-bla-bla...

We already have folding digital media "paper" that can be rolled an put in your pocket, the issue is not the media,screen resolution or the downloading but the battery life and storage.

As storage is no longer becoming an issue the battery life is the main challenge.

Imagine a piece of plastic you fold, roll up and put in your pocket which automatically downloads the latest news when you walk past the nearest vendor or mobile mast at the tube or bus station, it's already a reality.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back