The "Glossing" option on KM6501

Whygen

Any hints or tips on how to get the best "gloss" finish using the glossing option on the 6501.
We switch it on and it doesnt seem to make that much difference to whens it off? Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

We have a few clients that had their stuff previously run on an iGen and insist on a waxy type finish. The way we accommodate them is using the US Sheetfed Coated profile (instead of our own to match the presses) and use a heavier paper weight profile than whats actually being used, along with enabling gloss mode.

Roller Temperature

Roller Temperature

Hi, You could also increase the roller temperature by going to "process adjust" under the tray settings. From there tap next, and you'll see four temperature settings. Two for the upper roller, idle and print, and two for the lower roller, idle and print. Raise these values and you'll get a glossier finish. Also works wonders if you lower it when you're trying to run a lower weight gloss stock through that tends to stick in the fusing unit. It's good for running cheeky, out of spec. stock (I.E. 400 g/m2) as well.

Also works wonders if you lower it when you're trying to run a lower weight gloss stock through that tends to stick in the fusing unit. It's good for running cheeky, out of spec. stock (I.E. 400 g/m2) as well.

Yep - these work great for both. We go from 70# gloss book which sticks to everything, then over to 130# gloss cover. These machines provide a lot of latitude if you are patient and learn a bit about them. :D

Yep - these work great for both. We go from 70# gloss book which sticks to everything, then over to 130# gloss cover. These machines provide a lot of latitude if you are patient and learn a bit about them. :D

We've not had ours for very long, so if you have any other tricks I'd love to hear them!

We've not had ours for very long, so if you have any other tricks I'd love to hear them!

Plenty on the boards here. UberTech has a little tips booklet that he'll send you if you send him a photo of your machine. If you run up against something you are trying to accomplish and hit a road block, just pop a question up on here.

What configuration and RIP do you have?

Brilliant, I'll definitely have to contact UberTech, thanks. We just have a single C5501 actually, with an X3e-TY-210 fiery server, post inserter, the smaller booklet maker and one large capacity tray. The company has traditionally been a brokerage for niche printed products, but for the past few years we have been producing digital print in-house. The machine behaves it's-self nicely most of the time, but occasionally we have some weird issue pop up from no-where which is where this book of tips would come in handy!

NOTE: the process adjust isn't available on all installs. We have two 6501's here and don't have that option on either machine. I'll have to talk to our techs to see if it can be activated.

I was speaking to one of our KM engineers, apparently they can enable it through a div (dip? dib?) switch, but it isn't normally visible.

Thanks guys,
Really useful feedback - and will try some of these tips out next week. We run the creo 304+ rip..so not sure how this effects things? Have been printing off some images on black Label Silk coated stock and even with the "glosser" on it was still producing a flat/matt appearance - so hoping that these tips will help to produce more of a sheen - particularly desirable on photos..

This post makes me laugh. I thought the hype over this machine was the FLAT output... UberTech made such a HUGE deal about it. I said it looked fake on coated stocks from the beginning, nice output on uncoated though.

Craig, generally the "flat" appearance is more desirable than than the overly glossy appearance on some presses (mentioning no names), but a "gentle sheen" on photographic images does enhance them (in my opinion). not gonna get drawn into the KM VS Xerox output argument (or perhaps i just have!) :D

This post makes me laugh. I thought the hype over this machine was the FLAT output... UberTech made such a HUGE deal about it. I said it looked fake on coated stocks from the beginning, nice output on uncoated though.

It's not the machine, it's the clients. They want the gloss look. If it was up to me I would ban gloss from the print world ;)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back