There just HAS to be an Acrobat plugin.....

kaiserwilhelm

I have a PDF. It has pictures and type on it. I want to be able to select the top line of type (Dear Mr Sample). I want to tell Acrobat (through a plugin) to then utilize my data (Salutation Last Name).
Then, I want it to make me a new PDF that is say, 12,000 pages long....ie, one page for each record.
Seriously tell me that such an animal does not exist??

What I would do is use Pitstop to remove the unwanted text in the PDF, place the PDF in Indesign and use XMPIE or Darwin to make my variable, works every time.

yes, we are exploring ways to script it for placement in INDD. I think we can pull that off.
I was just sure hoping for a 3rd party plugin. I just cannot believe there is not one out there.

You don't need to script it in InDesign.... just use data merge, that's what it's for. But XMPie and Fusion are alternatives.

Lukas - 100 plus 2 page pdfs. We have a script to throw them into INDD now. Hoping for Fusion Pro. They have not gotten back to me yet.

What Lukas said. Data merge in InDesign. Especially if all you have is a name. Not sure though how long it will take InDesign to merge the data or how large the resulting file would be since you have 12k names. Might be worth a look though.

Are you saying you want the same copy on every page?

If so, try extracting the page you want and delete everything except for the copy of type you need. Save the page as a separate file.

Go back to your document that your working with and through the menus:
Document>Watermark>Add.
This should take you do another window showing Source: choose file and it will ask you what file(the new one you created) The go to page range on the top right of this window and verify that it will be placed on each page you need. This window is fairly easy to follow.

I have had times where I have had to cover up slug lines with a white box in the image area that wouldn't wouldn't be affected by the action list and this has worked for me

Fusion Pro Desktop

Fusion Pro Desktop

We use Fusion Pro Desktop for exactly these types of situations. It acts as a plug-in to Acrobat and InDesign and allows you to designate certain areas (text or images) as variable. You link the file to a database and resave it as a pdf or ppml.

What are you using to print? Both Xerox and Micropress have form features that have you place the pdf as the background and you can print just the fields in blank InDesign pages. 12000 pages with just the address/salutation would fly through the processors.

As usual, this forum pays off in spades. Had a presentation of Fusion Pro today. Wow. I had no idea this was the old DL 100 that I used years ago on the Nexpress. Thank you all for the suggestions.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back