Thinking of buying the Xerox 700

John W.

Hi all

Im brand new in here but I have been reading a lot of your posts.

I have a small printshop i Denmark and so far my only colourprinter is a KM C650. Its pretty crappy though and Im not satisfied with it at all. I know its an officeprinter and I looking to purchase a production machine. The b/w part is very crappy and allmost useless. I have heard that its a known issue for KM that they cant print very good b/w on their colourprinters?

Im running about 50-100k A4 a month and increasing. A lot of it is on 300gsm. The C650 dosnt do the job very well - but I work around it.

I have been looking at the Xerox 700 and went to a demo and was pretty impressed - I would like to have autoduplex 300gsm though and then have to "upgrade" it to a 5000AP. Any thoughts on the image quality compared to the 700? ( I have read that the 5000 is oily and very blank )

I have a demo on the KM6500 next week - any owners that have some input that they would like to share?

Any thoughts and opinions are apreciated.

I personally(?) think that the 5000 is superior to the 700 in image quality. You could purchase a 5000 used/refurbished and later you could update the 5000 to 5000ap with a software update and productivity pack (upgrades to the fuser for all paper same speed)

Thx for your reply - here in DK there isnt many used 5000 around though.

Have u any experience on both the 700 and the 5000 ?

Just spoke to the sales man at xerox and he said that the 700 is almost as good as the 5000....? Any thoughts on that? I havnt seen a demo on the 5000 yet - but he told me that its not beeing produced any more.

Quality is subjective. It is up to you to decide which one is better for your needs.

Im aware of that - was just hoping for some feedback on the machines in the long run - how is the consistency

im also considering the KM6500 but was told it has problems running pure b/w

I have the X700 through a local dealer... One thing to note, if you are looking at purchasing the X700, MAKE SURE it is through Xerox Direct. My dealer is claiming they are losing several thousand dollars a month on my machine. (We run about 150,000 12x18 sides a month.) We have had to get a lawyer to "remind" the dealer they are under contract (cost so far, $2,500US).

From what I can gather, dealers' toner costs are in line for office environments, not Print For Pay. That being said, other then the dealer issues and some oddities that have started recently (like the Free Flow printing blank calibration sheets) I love the unit.

Due to the dealer issues, I am forced to replace the X700 with a DC5000 from Xerox Direct. I am not a huge fan of the fuser oil, but the reliability is there and the quality is certainly sellable. (Note: the X700 payment is $4.62US/month cheaper then the used DC5000 payment!)

I've run the 5000 (not the AP) in the past and have no complaints (except for the CREO front end). Our 5000 is coming with a Free Flow so we shall see how that goes. (Also, I've heard the AP Upgrade kit is about $5,000US. We are getting that after the 5000 has been installed.)

I can say, if you are doing a lot of 80#CVR and above, go for the 5000. The 700 is pretty good on the 80# but really starts to move around on 100#. Not to mention the hassle of manual duplex.

I have just over a half million 12x18 clicks on the 700 and it's already starting to show it's age a bit (nothing major yet, just not as rock solid as it once was).

Just my thoughts... Hope it helps.

I have the X700 through a local dealer... One thing to note, if you are looking at purchasing the X700, MAKE SURE it is through Xerox Direct. My dealer is claiming they are losing several thousand dollars a month on my machine. (We run about 150,000 12x18 sides a month.) We have had to get a lawyer to "remind" the dealer they are under contract (cost so far, $2,500US).

From what I can gather, dealers' toner costs are in line for office environments, not Print For Pay. That being said, other then the dealer issues and some oddities that have started recently (like the Free Flow printing blank calibration sheets) I love the unit.

Due to the dealer issues, I am forced to replace the X700 with a DC5000 from Xerox Direct. I am not a huge fan of the fuser oil, but the reliability is there and the quality is certainly sellable. (Note: the X700 payment is $4.62US/month cheaper then the used DC5000 payment!)

I've run the 5000 (not the AP) in the past and have no complaints (except for the CREO front end). Our 5000 is coming with a Free Flow so we shall see how that goes. (Also, I've heard the AP Upgrade kit is about $5,000US. We are getting that after the 5000 has been installed.)

I can say, if you are doing a lot of 80#CVR and above, go for the 5000. The 700 is pretty good on the 80# but really starts to move around on 100#. Not to mention the hassle of manual duplex.

I have just over a half million 12x18 clicks on the 700 and it's already starting to show it's age a bit (nothing major yet, just not as rock solid as it once was).

Just my thoughts... Hope it helps.

Thx for your thoughts!

A few questions. What is the free flow? A rip? Im going with the external fiery. Read somewhere that is makes the print less glossy than the creo.
and what is 80#CVR?
Have you any experience on the KM6500?

80#CVR == 220gsm
Free Flow is Xerox's Branded RIP
Don't know on the Glossiness of the Fiery vs. Creo.

I used a KM6500 when they were brand new and hated it. I have heard it has had all of the issues I had addressed since then, but I am still partial to Xerox.

I run the Free Flow on the X700 now. It's not fun to set up, especially if you are used to either the Creo or Fiery flow. However, once set-up, it is quite nice. The best thing is, when you have a job that mixes Mono and Color clicks, you can just specify the pages that need to print Mono and it will click properly, where the Creo/Fiery would have to split the job up into two and collate back together.

Also, I feel the photo's look better on the Free Flow then the Fiery (we had both to start with while we were demo'ing the Free Flow).

Just my .02

we have a GA customer that owns both xerox 700 and Km 6500.

he is totally satisfied with xerox and of course Creo RIP. when jobs coverage exceeds more than 70%, they shift to xerox 700 because of the quality and speed.

but there is one issue: xerox 700 Fuser module is weak to some extent.

I'm also thinking of buying a 700 to expand the service on offer to clients. I run a Bureau and would like to offer digital printing to current clients. What is the monthly throughput like? I would probably start on 10-20,000 pages a month and plan to increase to 50-100,000.

Hi Dear,

we have a GA customer owning both KM LD6500 and xerox 700.

form what he told us, most of the higher gsm jobs are being printed by xerox.

xerox external Fiery can speed up and expedite all the ques. in my opinion it is better to refer a sole agency of xerox to receive any comprehensive information about different types of Fieries.

xerox 700 output is Offset like, because of the toner technology it uses, i mean EAHG but 5000 output is oily. anyway in your marketing universe there are different people with different tastes.

then, you can sign FSMA contract with xerox to be free about service, consumables and parts issues.

Xerox 700

Xerox 700

Hi! John,

This is Narendra from India, as per my experience Xerox 700 is good machine for mid range production (b/w 50k - 70k volumes per month).

700 comes with matt finish and has got good back to back registration, but when compared to 5000 the productivity speed is less. Overall for mid range produvtion this is a very good choice, where people get their ROI worth investing on this.

Regards,
Naren

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies.

Im going with the Xerox 5000AP - at least thats what I thougt. Then KM told me that a brand new KM C8000 is coming up - quality close to offset...! (Have to see it before I believe it) and with the ability to auto 300g paper and run up to 350g paper. Im going to the IPEX in may in England and have a look at it.

Any thoughts on the C8000?

I'm also thinking of buying a 700 to expand the service on offer to clients. I run a Bureau and would like to offer digital printing to current clients. What is the monthly throughput like? I would probably start on 10-20,000 pages a month and plan to increase to 50-100,000.

I think the Xerox 700 will give you room for growth from 10k to 70k. If you reach 100k, maybe you may need to add a second unit. The question is when do you expect 100k. In a few months, 1 year or 5 years? If it's short term, you may want to look at something "bigger". If it's mid/long term, you can start with the Xerox 700.

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies.

Im going with the Xerox 5000AP - at least thats what I thougt. Then KM told me that a brand new KM C8000 is coming up - quality close to offset...! (Have to see it before I believe it) and with the ability to auto 300g paper and run up to 350g paper. Im going to the IPEX in may in England and have a look at it.

Any thoughts on the C8000?

You may want to look at the new Xerox 800/1000.

Xerox Color 800/1000 Presses Produce HD Image Quality / Xerox Newsroom

Xerox is taking orders today is most parts of the world.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back