This is totally application specific- but...

eran

Does anyone know how to import a custom control strip into GMG ColorProof 4.x?

Pretty easy...

Pretty easy...

I'm assuming this is a "stand-alone" control strip to be measured off-line with an Eye-One Pro or similar. If you want a custom strip for the HP "Z" printers that you'd like measured by the embedded spectro and GMG ProofControl, best talk to GMG support about that. Anyway, if you just want to add a custom control strip...

If you have a vector file (Illustrator) of the strip, run it through GMG RIPServer and save it as a TIFF. I'd recommend a resolution equal to or greater than the printer resolution (600ppi, 720ppi) so fine type in the strip renders well. RIP the first one normal/non-rotated and name it like this:
<your control strip name>[space]K0.tif

RIP the control strip a 2nd time ROTATED and name it like this:
<your control strip name>[space]K90.tif

The names should be IDENTICAL except for the K0 and K90 just before the .tif extension.

If you already have a suitable TIFF of the strip, you can do the naming and rotation in Photoshop if you prefer. I'd recommend saving it as an uncompressed TIFF but compression MAY work, LZW at least....but why take chances? :)

Place both files in the "Strips" folder inside your GMG Colorproof application folder.

Re-launch GMG Colorproof.

Create a manual job and then go into the "Labels" menu and then the pop-up menu for Control Strips. You should see ONE of your control strips in there with just the name and without the K0/K90. The system will choose which version, rotated or not, it needs to use based on you control strip settings. From here, just choose it in any of your hot folder setups.

Regards,
Terry Wyse

Exactly the information I needed (and with way more accomplishment than trying to edit the xml file!) Thanks Terry.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back