Toner Foiling Problem on Soft Touch Laminate - How to get rid of foil spots

sidneykidney

I've got a Vivid Matrix 370P along with Xerox Versant 80 Digital Press. When using the Matrix for foiling on plain smooth paper its perfect...very fast, accurate, clean and no foil spots. But when I try and foil onto Soft Touch Laminate I get random spots of foil in different positions on some of the sheets (not all sheets).
Things I've already done:
1 - I've cleaned ALL the rollers.
2 - I've cleaned the Xerox and know that it's not spots of toner
This only happens on soft touch laminate.

Are the edges of the sheets clean when going back through the Xerox, no over lam edges that would be leaving residue on the rollers that would invisible. Perhaps try trimming a clean edge off the sheets before sending them back through the Xerox.

Are the edges of the sheets clean when going back through the Xerox, no over lam edges that would be leaving residue on the rollers that would invisible. Perhaps try trimming a clean edge off the sheets before sending them back through the Xerox.
Thanks for your solution. I've already tried this and apply it to every job which I foil. After laminating the sheets, I trim off 1mm from the trailing furry edge before applying toner and foiling but it still has random spots.

Attached is a photograph showing you my problem. The pic shows the spots larger than they actually are because of the shine from the lens. They are actually more like glitter spots, but they are all over the sheet.

Attachments

• Foil Spot Pic 1.jpg
    Foil Spot Pic 1.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 508
We have the Matrix as well as a Versant 2100 so similar setup. Whenever we get excess foil dots we adjust the pressure on the roller. Small adjustments can make a big difference.

We have the Matrix as well as a Versant 2100 so similar setup. Whenever we get excess foil dots we adjust the pressure on the roller. Small adjustments can make a big difference.
Pressure makes a big difference on the actual foiled areas whether I change pressure, speed or temperature, the spots are always there. I wonder if I've got a faulty batch of laminate!!!

There's another type of soft-touch laminate called "super-stick" that you may want to try, it's a little more expensive, but its designed for digital workflow.

Attached is a photograph showing you my problem. The pic shows the spots larger than they actually are because of the shine from the lens. They are actually more like glitter spots, but they are all over the sheet.
Did you ever resolve this? I am having the same issue and have tried all the things suggested here.

Did you ever resolve this? I am having the same issue and have tried all the things suggested here.
In a way, yes. I changed my supplier of laminate (in the UK). I now use GMP supplies. When I originally phoned them and spoke to their technical lady, she stopped me in my tracks and answered my question straight away which nobody else had been able to do. Apparently, there was too much corona on my original laminate.

When I put 10 sheets of soft touch laminated SRA3 sheets through my digital press, I could pick up the bottom sheet and due to static, it would cling all 10 sheets together!!!!

By changing manufacturer, I still get the odd few spots which is random on the sheet but I would advice that you clean ALL the rollers before starting to laminate or foil and also trim off any residue laminate that hangs over the edge of the sheet because as it goes through the heated rollers, it melts and sticks to the rubber roller which in turn picks up the foil.

In a way, yes. I changed my supplier of laminate (in the UK). I now use GMP supplies. When I originally phoned them and spoke to their technical lady, she stopped me in my tracks and answered my question straight away which nobody else had been able to do. Apparently, there was too much corona on my original laminate.

When I put 10 sheets of soft touch laminated SRA3 sheets through my digital press, I could pick up the bottom sheet and due to static, it would cling all 10 sheets together!!!!

By changing manufacturer, I still get the odd few spots which is random on the sheet but I would advice that you clean ALL the rollers before starting to laminate or foil and also trim off any residue laminate that hangs over the edge of the sheet because as it goes through the heated rollers, it melts and sticks to the rubber roller which in turn picks up the foil.
Too much corona on your laminate lol? Thank you soooo much for your response! What to do use to clean the rollers? I've been cleaning mine like crazy but maybe I'm not using the right stuff?

Too much corona on your laminate lol? Thank you soooo much for your response! What to do use to clean the rollers? I've been cleaning mine like crazy but maybe I'm not using the right stuff?
For cleaning my Matrix 370 in the UK, I use the Ambersil family of cleaning products on a lint free cloth or paper roll which doesn't tear apart when wet.:

Hard metal rollers - Amberklene ME20 Heavy Duty Solvent cleaner when the machine is warm or hot. This has a slower evaporating rate for extended contact time.
Ambersil WebSite: Product Detail

Rubber Rollers - Amberclens - Anti-static Foaming Cleaner
Ambersil WebSite: Product Detail

When I originally phoned them and spoke to their technical lady, she stopped me in my tracks and answered my question straight away which nobody else had been able to do. Apparently, there was too much corona on my original laminate.
What do you mean by "too much corona"? Do you mean that there was too much of a static charge?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back