Top Quality Printing - how is done?

No trolling there Chris, it's exactly what I have been saying only explained better. I suppose you could argue that the most important part is the customer but that's another story :)

In the OP's case I feel it could be pre-press related, but we really need to see some examples I feel.

INK is the greatest missive weapon of all the battles of the learned.

Think hard about that.

We are still missing something.

D

hi guys,
any one of you working on heat set machines? is it makes different in printing? The speed at which the ink dries is a function of dryer temperature and length of time the paper is exposed to this temperature. This type of printing is typically used for magazines, catalogs, inserts and other medium-to-high volume, medium-to-high quality production runs. I think in this process ink spreading is very less and you can see complete ink on paper. Quality of print is including press quality too.

I must say, I have never seen pre-press in many views of printed material.

It is there of course, but the 'most important single factor' is the acuality of what you are viewing.

D

Thats why you go as only, D Ink Man. Thought you more rounded than that??

I apologize.

Seems I am a little partial to the printing inks role. It really does get in your blood and you find after time that modifying it, you can make up for many of the shortcomings in the rest of the printing processes.

It is at least good to have the ability to do that.

Perhaps ink is the best component available to perform such opeartions when the need to do something is evident.

D Ink Man

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.... Or so the saying goes.

If all the elements involved in printing come together as one, a combination of good consumables, good stock, good machinery, good operators, good pre-press and good finishing crew..... Well it still won't matter if you're printing an ugly job will it?

You'll just get the best possible ugly job you can print :)

Quality Printing

Quality Printing

Final print quality depends on image quality, discipline in every process - Color conversion, RIP, screening technologies used, CTP, press condition etc. Since you claim to be best in your area try printing few jobs imaged on Thermal CTP at 200LPI and see if there is any significant improvement. Or try few jobs already printed with Thermal CTP plates preferebly from SCREEN or Kodak CTP at 2440 dpi and 200LPI screen ruling.

Thank you all for you very helpful information!

We have started from the RIP. We changed the shape of the dot to square, printed on CTCP at 2440 and 175 lpi. Also It was very important to save the jobs at Adobe Acrobat 4 version to keep the transparency and other problems in prepress.

Things have changed a bit. The photos are quite good. We are looking on the press part now to get the good contrast. We are testing UCR and GCR separation methods and let you know about the results.

Try 200 LPI and above with plates imaged on Thermal CTP. I have doubts abouts consistency of imaging by CTCP and ability to consistently image dots above 150 LPI. However when you print at higher screen rulings you have to ensure the dot gain is within standard limits. For this you may have to make a print charts and apply calibration curves in RIP. This can be your next step. And if achieved successfully, then there should be significant improvement in final viewer appeal of your printed jobs from now.

To do what you want is a long process which requires time and commitment, and money.
If you have or can schedule them, then go for it.
I do not know how many presses you have but the first step would be to get them all set up properly to specs. Making sure that things like ink rollers, dampener rollers and ink fountains are in the best shape and up to specs.
What you need to do is to plan the entire process
Then collect data from the result and compare it.
For a start how did you achieve your standard density? Did you just pick it out of the air or did you do you just use the ones supplied by Roland in the CCI.
What targets do you want to achieve
How do you know that they are right for your process
I judge by Dmax, trapping, and printing contrast and to a less degreedot gain .
Run a test form at you standard density and get the result measured. This will create a base line.

To do what you want is a long process which requires time and commitment, and money.
If you have or can schedule them, then go for it.
I do not know how many presses you have but the first step would be to get them all set up properly to specs. Making sure that things like ink rollers, dampener rollers and ink fountains are in the best shape and up to specs.
What you need to do is to plan the entire process
Then collect data from the result and compare it.
For a start how did you achieve your standard density? Did you just pick it out of the air or did you do you just use the ones supplied by Roland in the CCI.
What targets do you want to achieve
How do you know that they are right for your process
I judge by Dmax, trapping, and printing contrast and to a less degree dot gain .
Run a test form at your standard density and get the result measured. This will create a base line.[/QUOTE]

I fully agree with John. After doing the trail and errors suggested till now, this is the correct path. However this requires qualified person to implement the process, time and money.

Hi All,

I am printer in Kosovo. We have 6 color Roland Machine and CTcP CRON. We are one of the best printers in our country but still I am not satisfied with the print we do.

I have a question to all: how are done those top quality printing fashion catalogs which have high contrast, very good printing pictures and so on?
What are the main factors to do such a print?

Thank you all in advance,

Visar
CEO
VIPRINT

What stage are you at now?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back