Topsetter 74P / 102P speed on 745/605 plates

alekbelia

Hi guys

does anybody know what machine will be faster producing 745/605 plates - Topsetter 74P or Topsetter 102P.
Rated speed of Topsetter 74P - 20 plates 50/70 per hour.
Rated speed of Topsetter 102P - 13 plates 100/70 per hour.

Heads of both platesetters are the same. The only reason of speed difference can be loading/unloading time?

I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. If the circumference of the drum is different between the two (and it probably is), then the smaller machine will likely be faster for small plates.

Kevin.

Heads of both platesetters are the same. The only reason of speed difference can be loading/unloading time?
Heads are the same (32 LD head), loader-unloader is the same, drum size is different.
The only one reason: bigger format needs more time to be exposed, so less plates per hour be produced.
Need more plates p/h - look at PF102 model with 64 laser diodes imaging head. 20 plates at 2400 dpi.

I've just googled for 3 minutes to get the answer!!!

The bigger machine will be slower only if the maximum drum speed is lower.
102P should have slower drum speed (if laser head is the same) to provide the same laser energy to the plate.
But I still can't find info about the maximum drum speed of the 74P machine and the 102P machine.
The answer is not as easy as the explanation given from VladCanada (who I respect a lot).

Last edited:
The larger machine will be slower because the recording head has to traverse the entire width of the plate. Drum speed maximum on both machines is (I think) 1000 rpm

Yes, maximum speed is 1000 rpm for both types, but are drum dimensions different?
I'm sure 102 has longer drum but did not find info about drum diameter.
And don't forget there are SCREEN 4000 and 8000 OEM CTPs!

The answer to this question is not speed, but image area. When imaging time is being calculated, they use max drum area that can be imaged. So, the 102 has a larger area and therefore less plates per hour can be image.

If you load the 74P and 102p with the same size plate and run the same job to both units. You will see that the times will be equal.

Another way to look at this, is the amount of material used in 1 hour. 20 plates at what size verses 13 plates at what size.

STSTech

Hi guys

does anybody know what machine will be faster producing 745/605 plates - Topsetter 74P or Topsetter 102P.
Rated speed of Topsetter 74P - 20 plates 50/70 per hour.
Rated speed of Topsetter 102P - 13 plates 100/70 per hour.

Yes, maximum speed is 1000 rpm for both types, but are drum dimensions different?
I'm sure 102 has longer drum but did not find info about drum diameter.
And don't forget there are SCREEN 4000 and 8000 OEM CTPs!

Yes, the drum dimensions are different, both diameter and width, hence the different plate size. But, what you are overlooking is the energy required to expose the plate properly.
The spec calls for the lasers to apply a precise amount of energy to the emulsion. That energy is expressed in drum rotation speed and laser power. Both machines require the same energy applied to the plate. Therefore the speed that the plate passes by the lasers is the same (1000 rpm max) for the same laser power regardless of the drum diameter.
Yes I am aware of the the Screen devices, I work on them regularly.

As STStech says in the smaller and in the bigger device the energy for the surface of the plate must be the same. But when the diameter of the drums is different this mean (in case of the same sized plates) that in the bigger drum diameter device laser head is not working more time than in the smaller drum diameter device. In other words the bigger device is less effective on smaller plates (just because the laser head working only in smaller parts of time per revolution).
It's mean that Kevin@Kodak giving us right answer.
I ask by phone some tech guys (who are working from years in this sector) and they give me different answers. This is the reason to post this question here.
Thank everybody for their posts.

I have been on a vacation and I missed some of the discussions. ASAIK Alekbelia has PT-R8600 with 64 lasers fiber type. I have extensive experience with both platesetters and PT-R4300S is faster. This is because of the loading time, smaller drum diameter and higher drum speed. The maximum drum speed of PT-R8600 is 900rpm, while PT-R4300S is 1000 rpm. The calibrated power of the 8600 is 270mW, but 4300 is 240mW because of the energy delivered on the plate. In Bulgaria, there are not more that 5 people that really knows how the CTPs work and can give an experienced opinion. For Screen devices, I know just 3 people that are trained and have extensive experience. Others are just operators. Sorry, but this is the truth.

To Armya Inc - very good reading.
To ansoft
I ask about P102 and P74 comparison?
Actually P102 can be PT-R8000II or PT-R8300. P74 is 4300. Both are 32 ld devices.
Loading of the same plate on 4300 is not faster than on 8xxx series, or here is very small differences.
The question is what is the speed of Topsetters P102 and P74 on same plate with B2 size, eventually on B3 size.
Maybe the answer is (for B2 size) - ~16 plates/h for P102 and 20 plates/h for P74.

Y direction shorter than ... does any one can help .. why i see this error ?
my machine is : topsetter 74p PT-R 4300

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back