Touch Up Object Tool Properties Color Conversion not working in Acrobat 9

GregB

I use the Touch Up Object Tool Properties Color Conversion as a quick way to reduce inkweights in supplied PDFs using Acrobat 8 using ISOnewspaper30v4. We recently upgraded to windows CS4 with 12 of 13 pcs using Acrobat 9 (I'm still using 8). The trouble is the Color Conversion won't work on 9. Has anyone had the same problem or is there a change I need to make in some settings? Attached is a screen shot of the current set-up.

Attachments

• Object Touch Up.jpg
    Object Touch Up.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 208
GregB, for what it is worth, I use Acrobat Pro v9 on a Mac, with no issues with this command. Have you tried converting to a different CMYK profile and or say an RGB or Gray profile just to double check?

Use the Output Preview / Object Inspector to click on the object and double check the image properties (not the default Output Preview / Separations option).

Have you tried - Advanced / Print Production / Convert Colours? Does this work?

Under the "Matching Criteria" you can select "image", the source colour space, and the profile in the "Conversion Attributes" section (the more matching criteria in use the better, as this is a global image conversion command, it is not targeted like the touch up object tool). You can also isolate the change to all the images on a certain page using the "Convert Pages" section. For good form, it is a good practice to also tick the Convert Options conversion boxes for Preserve Black and Preserve CMYK Primaries.

Is the original image "Device CMYK" - or does it have a tagged ICC profile associated with the image? You can find this out using the Object Inspector tool.

If the image is Device CMYK, what CMYK device profile is set in your Preferences / Colour Settings?

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Hi Greg,

I think that stephen is right. If you want to convert from CMYK to CMYK, your original image need to be tagged with an ICC profile or you have to use a target profile that is not the same as the one selected in the preferences of Acrobat. If your default CMYK profile is ISOnewspaper30v4 and that you try to convert towards this profile, it won't work.

If you don't want to change your preferences every time you need to convert a PDF, you may try the little file at the following address:
www.pixels-et-papier.be/Transferts/Convert_to_ISOnewspaper30v4.kfp.zip
You can import it in the preflight tool of Acrobat: it will convert images to ISOnewspaper30v4 and if some images are not tagged, it will consider them as US web coated v2. You may change this behavior by editing the preflight profile.

I hope that this will help you.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back