Touchup from Acrobat in Illustrator Jumping

Lukas Engqvist

When fixing a colour or an overprint in an Acrobat document using illustrator the object "jump" in the PDF. Used to be like this with photoshop objects, most of the time I try go back to the source, but as customers are wanting to present "print ready" PDF's the need for fixing some issues arises…*yes pitstop works, but I prefer Illustrator tools. Just want to know if this is a unique thig or if there is time to escalate this to support.

I usually prefer to work with Pitstop, because the illustrator, not all can be done,
especially in the processing / editing colors and much more ...:)

Ye I have pitstop, but how about recolour artwork and propper path editing tools. Live paint, live colour, and path:simplify are missing (and I'm not so into the pitstop panel)

I think it depends on the work you do...when you edit a photoshop file from Acrobat..as long as you don't change the canvas size...the work seems to drop into the proper place when you go back to Acrobat. If you modify paths in Illustrator...the outer bounds of the art changes...so it "jumps" when brought back into Acrobat. At least this is what I've experienced.

Illustrator objects and PDF objects

Illustrator objects and PDF objects

Ye I have pitstop, but how about recolour artwork and propper path editing tools. Live paint, live colour, and path:simplify are missing (and I'm not so into the pitstop panel)

As I recall - and I may be wrong (perhaps Dov or Leonard will chime in and correct or confirm...)

but - if you save a PDF file from Illustrator - Illustrator saves two (2) sets of all objects in that saved PDF file - one as Illustrator native and edit objects, one as PDF displayable PDF objects. Adobe often states "Illustrator is not a PDF editor"... and you may be running into this here

So, well - this is nothing that you can "escalate to Adobe support" - they will tell you that you are trying to do something that Adobe never claimed you could do in the first place.

-- As you know - most professionals that need to edit PDF files use the Adobe Acrobat Plug-in from Enfocus - PitStop professional, and if they find that lacking, they buy products from Esko - Packaging and printing pre-production solutions - EskoArtwork - like Neo --> http://www.esko.com/web/site.aspx?p=2273

OR - if you have control - they find the native application and edit that - nothing better than editing a native Adobe Illustrator file in Adobe Illustrator I always say !

Hope that helps !

What version of illustrator are you running. I used to face problem with Adobe illustrator Cs2. If i open Acrobat file and touch up in either photoshop or illustator it used to shift. But after the upgrade in both software this problem of image shifting was resolved.

Hope i have answered your question.

With best regards.
From
MR. Graphics Ent

It used to work with CS3 as I recall. Used to be a problem with Photoshop touchup, but that issue is resolved.
Yes I am aware of the limitations, and the risk of editing a PDF, it is just it is so teasingly close to being the best way to work.

With CS4 I find that I have increasing difficulty in using pitstop due to the "form" grouping of objects.
There is the work around to save as eps, and then open in illy :p Anything to get the job done.

if you save a PDF file from Illustrator - Illustrator saves two (2) sets of all objects in that saved PDF file - one as Illustrator native and edit objects, one as PDF displayable PDF objects.

That's only when you are authoring in Illustrator to start with. It doesn't apply to touchup.

So, well - this is nothing that you can "escalate to Adobe support" - they will tell you that you are trying to do something that Adobe never claimed you could do in the first place.

Again, using Illustrator VIA touchup (which is what I believe is being discussed) is a VALID use of the combination since Acrobat "bundles up" the objects for Illustrator - send thems over - then looks for the changes.

It's only when you open the PDF DIRECTLY in Illustrator to edit it that we don't support it.

Than you Leonard, that is exactly how I understood it. And there seems to be a little problem with this hand over. Should I error report it as an Acrobat issue or an Illustrator issue? Or is it adequate that you see it here…*It is quite easy to test for, I have it happen nearly every time ;)

I looked at Neo, but I didn't like it a bit, sry I know you are trying to show a work around but I it didn't turn me on.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back