Unresolved KM 8000 Quality Issues

YpsiStandard

Registered Users
It has been a year since installing our KM 8000 and we’re still experiencing several quality issues with the machine.

COLOR SHIFT
We’ve received contradictory information from service techs regarding the CDC. One says turn it on, the other says turn it off and a third says to turn it back on again. There is also debate on the interval in which we run the CDC. We were still experiencing significant shifting when set at 500 sheets and are currently testing at 300 sheets. Techs have expressed over calibrating possibly causing issues, but I’m not sure how true that is. Does anyone have any suggests?

COVERAGE
I cannot print linen or laid on this machine (luckily we have 6500s to pick up the slack). Even the rated stocks will not cover.

Offset is a bear (especially text). I really have to fight with the process adjustment setting to be able to run some jobs.

PAPER CURL
Text, offset in particular, comes off as rolls of paper. Techs suggested running short grain but it’s more expensive and sometimes takes a bit longer to come in.

Any suggestions with any of the above issues would be greatly appreciated. Konica seems to be out of their league. We’re greatly appreciated.

Are you serviced by KM Direct or a dealership? If it is a dealer, ask that they get KM involved directly (if they already haven't).

We've had the same issues with our C8000. Ran great for about 8 months after install, then we started seeing horrible color shifts during the runs. Techs and engineering worked on it for weeks and weeks and finally gave up and swapped out our engine. New engine holds color during the runs better, but we still have a day to day shift (i.e. reprints, or trying to match proofs done previously almost never happens without adjusting color curves). We also got the CDC runaround - Turn it on, turn it off, turn it up, turn it down... Nothing we changed on CDC seemed to help.

We completely gave up trying to run any sort of textured paper on the machine - Horrible coverage. We have a Canon C6000 that does a great job with textured stocks, so we run all that on there.

We always buy digital cut stocks, so curl really hasn't been a huge issue for us.

All-in-all it's been a less than impressive machine. We have a couple of KM black and white 1200's that we love, but the 8000 has been a disappointment.

Once we started calling the regional manager on a daily basis things moved a lot faster for us ;)

Did it come with a customer expectations document? If so see if there is anything in that regarding service call and CQ. Tell Steve I said Hi too!

The C8000 has a hard transfer roller/belt, so guess what it doesn't fill in the gaps on textured stock. The C6501 has a soft transfer transfer roller and is able to fill rough surfaced stock. Same goes for cheap offset text. Where the machine does great is smooth, bright digital stocks which is what it was made for. I see the same stuff with all the different manufacturers on this forum. I just had a customer buy a new xerox 700 and they have to keep their C6501 to run a bunch of their stocks that the brand new xerox cant do. You can replace the machine and it still wont fill in textured stock.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back