Urgent - OSX Mavericks compatible fiery for DC242

steveclv

The DC-242 I am buying has a number of controller options but I am having trouble finding one that is compatible (fully) with Mac OSX Mavericks.

Can anyone confirm that there is a compatible controller for the DC-242 please?

Thanks!!

The latest version of Fiery Command Workstation is 5.5, and works with OSX 10.6 through 10.9. Contact your Xerox tech people to see if that version works with your DC-242, or if they can suggest any older version of CWS. Xerox's website doesn't list Fiery drivers for anything higher than OSX 10.8, so maybe they're just dropping support on the 242. You may need to have a computer with an older operation system on it to run it.

As for other controllers brands, I'm in the dark, so maybe somebody else will pick up the slack.

Last edited:
Thanks. If there is a problem with driver compatibility, can I use Hot Folders and drop the PDFs into them on the Mac and then manage the job from the fiery workstation?

Thanks. If there is a problem with driver compatibility, can I use Hot Folders and drop the PDFs into them on the Mac and then manage the job from the fiery workstation?

Yes you can do that. Why did you need to upgrade the mac os version? Just wondering because I have seen this issue before and it seems like the users just upgraded because there was a new version not because there was a good reason to.

I didn't upgrade - I purchased 2 new iMacs and that's what they come with. There is a new OSX version on it's way too called Yosemite - just to throw yet another wrench in the works. :(

If what you have works with the machines you have, no reason to upgrade the system just because a new one came out. I'd hate to tell you what system we're still on because another shop did just a point update to their system and it messed up their digital printer, which was the same model we have.

I have had no issues running our DC260 with Mavericks, everything runs as it did before in 10.8

What is it that you are worried will not work with Mavericks?

Wonderings - I don't seem to be able to find any drivers - do you know where you found yours?

Also can you use the driver to drive the finisher or is it a print only driver?

Thanks

Possumgal - these are brand new iMacs and they came with Mavericks installed - the printer/finisher/fiery is new to us so it's not a case of upgrading a working system - it's a case of installing everything from scratch. :)

I believe you only have to get the right driver from the Xerox website. I don't recall having a separate driver for the Fiery. I looked on the Xerox website, and their drivers for the 242 only go up to Mountain Lion. You might have to call Xerox and ask them what to do. Looks like their not updating drivers for this model.

I have a ppd for the fiery, will have to check what drivers, it has been a long time since I installed them.

I think you just need to use the 10.8 drivers. They work for me in mavericks, I do not have any specific 10.9 drivers for the 260.

I'll give it a try. Do you get finisher options in the driver or does it treat it as just another basic laser printer?

Thanks

I'll give it a try. Do you get finisher options in the driver or does it treat it as just another basic laser printer?

Thanks

When you are setting up the printer it will ask what finishing options you have, basically everything that is available for the printer.

Last edited:
I only seem to be able to find the Fiery Express driver and that's missing most of the features on your screenshot - any idea where to find the driver you are using? I'm confused ;)

I only seem to be able to find the Fiery Express driver and that's missing most of the features on your screenshot - any idea where to find the driver you are using? I'm confused ;)

Not sure, seems to be that is the universal driver for the 242 up to the 260. Are you using the ppd as well? If I remember correctly, I would have run that driver installer from xerox, then setup my printer LPD with IP address. Then I would direct it to the ppd, which I think brings up the menu for what features your machine has.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back