Used Epson 9880 vs New Canon IPF770?

gazfocus

Been putting off buying a wide format printer until we move to our new premises, but have been doing a bit of research over the past few days as we get the keys to our new unit today. I had settled on buying a Canon because the print heads are separate to the cartridges and easier to change. They paper is also easier to load from what I've seen.

I've been looking at the IPF770 as our first toe in the water, as it's not too expensive, and the quality looks excellent (and it's a 36" printer, so can do roller banners on it). However, I've read that because it uses dye based inks, the prints only last a few months indoors before they start to fade and this has me worried a bit as obviously we need to buy a machine that will give customer satisfaction, so beginning to have second thoughts.

Has anyone got one of these cheaper Canon's that can comment on whether the prints actually do fade?

I've looked at used printers and can't seem to find any of the more recent Canon's for sale, but have seen a few Epson 9880's for around the same price as the IPF770 would be new.

I'd be really interested to hear which one you guys would go for and anyone with input greatly appreciated :)

My advice, if you want to print pull up banners, buy a used Roland eco solvent printer. Built like tanks. We got one two years ago and never looked back.

The only Roland that might be in our price range is the SC545EX but even that would cost us £120 per month and really trying to avoid leasing.

I take your point but if you get a print and cut Roland it opens up many new revenue streams, start slowly with vinyl labels, posters, pull up's etc. it really has been great for us anyway

Been putting off buying a wide format printer until we move to our new premises, but have been doing a bit of research over the past few days as we get the keys to our new unit today. I had settled on buying a Canon because the print heads are separate to the cartridges and easier to change. They paper is also easier to load from what I've seen.

I've been looking at the IPF770 as our first toe in the water, as it's not too expensive, and the quality looks excellent (and it's a 36" printer, so can do roller banners on it). However, I've read that because it uses dye based inks, the prints only last a few months indoors before they start to fade and this has me worried a bit as obviously we need to buy a machine that will give customer satisfaction, so beginning to have second thoughts.

Has anyone got one of these cheaper Canon's that can comment on whether the prints actually do fade?

I've looked at used printers and can't seem to find any of the more recent Canon's for sale, but have seen a few Epson 9880's for around the same price as the IPF770 would be new.

I'd be really interested to hear which one you guys would go for and anyone with input greatly appreciated :)

​The 9880 I believe is older and slow, also archival ink better suited for archival prints

​The 9880 I believe is older and slow, also archival ink better suited for archival prints

Thanks, yeah I'm aware the 9880 is older and probably slower, but the inks are pigment inks which will last longer without fading.

I think the Mimki CJV is still out of our price range to be honest. For an idea, we've been offered an Epson 9880 for £1200, or one thats only done 165 prints for £1500.

Unfortunately with that Epson you'll spend more on time then you will with money with the Mimaki. We has the Epson, A Roland and A Mimaki none are perfect but the Mimaki prints 5 times as fast as the Epson and twice as fast as the Roland.

As I said, the Roland and the Mimaki are both out of our price range, so unfortunately, no matter how much faster they are, that won't change :(

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back