Using LAB with a densotometer

RGPW17100

We are going through G7 training. The trainers Xrite 528 has the Delta E settings under color instead of match and want to set ours the same way. By doing this we will not have actual LAB values but delta E values for L, A and B. Their thinking is nobody in North America uses LAB. I am curious if this is true. I use it all the time when I am trying to match a color and not sure what I need to do to get there. Our densitometer has the Match references under match and under color measures LAB values. Am I wrong to want to keep it this way? Just curious if anyone else uses LAB.

We absolutely use LAB both on our hand held and on our on press CLC system. I know many printers in North America that use LAB.

Your trainer is wrong. Every press in our company has a 528 available to it and the operators are trained in its use...including L*A*B* values.

thanks all for the replies. I emailed my boss and prepres supervisor about my concerns and added this thread to the email and was able to get this rectified. I think the G7 people are so focused on G7 that they dont look at the rest of the picture. My boss had a meeting with the G7 trainers, me and a few others and decided to leave one 528(the one I use) the way it is. Match was added as a firmware update a few years ago and they are not using it. Instead they are manually loading the G7 references by hand and I guess that defaults to color and not Match. They explained to us that when training press operators that LAB was to confusing and using Delta E was much easier for press operators to understand. With you guys adding your replies it gave credibility to my concerns and I appreciate that.

Correct your press in a stable condition,then you can use data to print~
G7 reference be corrected when all of the variation in control~

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back