Uv coating problem on xerox prints

smatros

We are trying to uv coat digital prints with glossy coating for digital (drytac) on a simple no-name uv coater. The problem we get is "wrinkled" gloss, like some kind of wavy surface. The problem is not present on some test coatings done on offset prints with another coating, so i guess it is not the machine. Any advice on how to get clean smooth glossy surface? Thank you in advance.

UV coating problem

UV coating problem

You may be experiencing a chemical reaction between the paper coating and the UV. I suggest you coat a blank sheet of stock to see if you get the same results.

There is probably a difference where the UV is hitting paper vs. the UV hitting toner on the paper. It's probably soaking in in areas and not in others causing the "wave" problem.

We are trying to uv coat digital prints with glossy coating for digital (drytac) on a simple no-name uv coater. The problem we get is "wrinkled" gloss, like some kind of wavy surface. The problem is not present on some test coatings done on offset prints with another coating, so i guess it is not the machine. Any advice on how to get clean smooth glossy surface? Thank you in advance.

Problem is that the Xerox print does have a special surface treatment, which makes it necessary to have a specically adapted UV coating with very good levelling. We have coatings which are adapted to that application in our range.

Dieter Zang (FUJIFILM)

Best regards

Wave Goodby

Wave Goodby

Your Wave e ness,
A wave or "rivering effect" is this
1) To much coating , Tighten metering roller 50% of time
2) Viscosity of coating to high , In winter coating body up and don't flow out as designed so a lower viscosity helps
3) Keep the coating at 80 degrees , and your boss will think you are an expert.

Have a smooth future,

You may try speeding up your machine a little too, that sometimes helps lessen application a little. Or try another brand of coating. Our TEC machine really works better with their brand of coating. Myself, i see little difference in coatings of different brands. However, every shop always has an expert on what they think the job should look like if you get where I'm coming from.....;)

I have the same issue the solutions i have tried and did not succeed

lessening the anti set off powder
speeding up the machine
primer coat before uv
bring uv temperature to 80 f
but i donot succeed

i am from india
I have a offline trraditional coater automatic
the grains ,gloss, and smoothness are the main issues i want to get 90 gloss please help

i feel sometimes the uv sinks into ink but i am giving proper time for ink to dry
note i am printing on plastic sheets i.e. ld multilayer
is tehre a possible way please help

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back