UV ink Question

NGA

Just a random question i got from one of our designers. We are a conventional shop that uses all UV coatiable ink that is "green" or "eco friendly" but wanted to know if straight UV inks are "green"
thanks

UV Inks are Green only in the sense that they emit zero VOC's. They are not made from any renewable resources like a conventional oil based ink.

UV Inks are Green only in the sense that they emit zero VOC's. They are not made from any renewable resources like a conventional oil based ink.

Isn't zero VOC emission a big green factor? Consumers have been asking for this for years and ink companies have brought VOC emissions down considerably. I remember what a sheetfed pressroom smelled like back in the '80's and compared to what one smells like today I am thankful for the improvement.

For our customers who ask about "green" options we always mention that UV inks w/ no VOC's are an option for some projects along with conventional "green" options. It really depends on the print project as to whether or not UV inks would be the best choice.

Last edited:
someone walked into our office yesterday and told us that UV coating is awful for the environment...is this true?

UV Inks and coatings are VOC free. However, they area also 80-100% petro-chemical based, and do not contain any renewable resources. Petro-chemical refining creates a large carbon foot print hence any benefits of being VOC free are negated. UV Inks and coating do carry many benefits in print both aesthetically and protection of the finished piece.

Conventional sheetfed offset inks can be made virtually VOC free (<3%) and can contain up to 75% of bio-renewable content. Therefore, this would be truly more of a "Greener" product. But none the less the bio-renewable contents also carry their own carbon foot print.

My .02 cents!

That person didn't provide any facts, which is why I asked it here...

Thanks folks. Thats a lot of knowledge.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back