UV white opaque coatings

We are looking for an opaque white coating preferably UV cured to cover the back of clear plastic sheets.
Can anyone shed some light on equipment and coatings that may help?

We are Agents for Actega--terra Germany and have sold their UV-OPaque White with good results. Try them they are good.
We are looking for an opaque white coating preferably UV cured to cover the back of clear plastic sheets.
Can anyone shed some light on equipment and coatings that may help?

Check with DIC in your local area. They may have enough service values regionally remaining to help you.

The bigger you are the more chance you will have with them.

If you are a small operation, they may not turn their heads.

In either case, don't expect too rapid of a response.

SAP cannot think on it's on, got it? D

To completely cover the back of clear plastic so that you cannot see light through it may take a few hits of UV Opaque white.I have also seen people print a couple of hits of UV white then 877 Opaque Silver and then a couple more of Opaque White. That was all offset printed though, maybe a good Flexo Opaque with the right Anilox in a coater unit might give better results.

Good luck. Through the coater a UV FLexo white can be ran. You would need a speacial engraved anilox for this. And the results still may not be good enough. Then the fun part is trying to clean the coating pump system good enough to run normal coating. If you have to go this route i would recomend, seperate pump system.

Good luck. Through the coater a UV FLexo white can be ran. You would need a speacial engraved anilox for this. And the results still may not be good enough. Then the fun part is trying to clean the coating pump system good enough to run normal coating. If you have to go this route i would recomend, seperate pump system.

I agree with Cornish. Two hits of white in offset press will get a fine white back but if you need the highest opacity, you just need to print one hit of uv opaque white in screen printing. Screen printing produces a thicker film of ink than offset ink, even more you would print a uv flexo varnish coating to give a better scratch resistant.

It's interesting how you can mix different printing systems to produce well done products.

We have a client who has a product they want white on colored substrates. We've tested 1x, 2x, 3x and 4x UV offset hits of white and even with metallic (871, 877) as base for extra opacity, no dice. We tried 1x and 2x hitting it with anilox units with highest BCM we could find, no dice.

The problem for us was there fold: substrate texture (not smooth enough), opacity and density. The only ink solution we found was screen printing. The other alternative was hot stamping (white and other pigmented foils exist for this very reason).

We have a client who has a product they want white on colored substrates. We've tested 1x, 2x, 3x and 4x UV offset hits of white and even with metallic (871, 877) as base for extra opacity, no dice. We tried 1x and 2x hitting it with anilox units with highest BCM we could find, no dice.

The problem for us was there fold: substrate texture (not smooth enough), opacity and density. The only ink solution we found was screen printing. The other alternative was hot stamping (white and other pigmented foils exist for this very reason).

You can try with white cold foil. Inline cold foil systems have the ability to just put foil in a spot way and then print it over with process or spot colors with good registration.

What kind of sustrate are trying to print?

The substrate wasn't smooth enough to get coldfoil to adhere. We don't have cold foil capacity onsite but are considering it for other products that we produce. I plan on testing extensively if we get a unit as I think cold foil is potentially the most economical function given that one could buy white cold foil the print colors on top of it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back