variable data apps

zBret

VDP apps to use, Will indesign handle large projects or should I be looking
into PrintShop Mail or Designmerge, would like to hear some comments from users of these apps.
Thanks

VDP apps

VDP apps

Hi zBret! I used InDesign's data merge for awhile but found it clunky to use. So I bought FusionPro desktop when they had it on sale for $299 (it's now $599 I think- still a good price compared to some of the other programs). I looked into Printshop Mail but didn't think I needed to spend $900 for the small and infrequent VDP jobs I do, although that is starting to change. I tried a demo of Printshop Mail and liked how it ripped the static info once and the variable info on the fly so my machine can run at rated speed. I can't seem to get FusionPro to do that. It exports as a PDF and can be a problem to rip. I have gotten it to go directly to the printer once and it seemed to print fast; but the fonts were all wrong. I bought it because it was highly recommeded (and affordable for a micro shop like me). Once I figured out how to use it (you have to pay extra for training) it was easy and fun to use. It also has a very handy imposition feature. I use that A LOT, even for my static jobs!

I hope this helps!
Keith

Hi zBret! I used InDesign's data merge for awhile but found it clunky to use. So I bought FusionPro desktop when they had it on sale for $299 (it's now $599 I think- still a good price compared to some of the other programs). I looked into Printshop Mail but didn't think I needed to spend $900 for the small and infrequent VDP jobs I do, although that is starting to change. I tried a demo of Printshop Mail and liked how it ripped the static info once and the variable info on the fly so my machine can run at rated speed. I can't seem to get FusionPro to do that. It exports as a PDF and can be a problem to rip. I have gotten it to go directly to the printer once and it seemed to print fast; but the fonts were all wrong. I bought it because it was highly recommeded (and affordable for a micro shop like me). Once I figured out how to use it (you have to pay extra for training) it was easy and fun to use. It also has a very handy imposition feature. I use that A LOT, even for my static jobs!

I hope this helps!
Keith

Thanks Keith I will download a demo version of Fusionpro desktop.
Ive played around PrintshopMail, I havent printed anything yet but the software seems fairly easy to use, but my options are open to try other software.
thanks for the info

InDesign is fine for us

InDesign is fine for us

We looked at a couple apps, but InDesign will handle pretty much everything except conditional formatting. I can't justify the cost/time associated with using another app. I'm not sure how you define big, but the largest file we've done was about 5m pages and 420m data points. That got a bit hairy for InDesign to handle, but all in all it went ok. For smaller things, it works just fine.

We looked at a couple apps, but InDesign will handle pretty much everything except conditional formatting. I can't justify the cost/time associated with using another app. I'm not sure how you define big, but the largest file we've done was about 5m pages and 420m data points. That got a bit hairy for InDesign to handle, but all in all it went ok. For smaller things, it works just fine.

Good to know, I just wasnt sure if Indesign could handle large files, I agree why purchase any software if indesign will handle most projects, I just wanted to see what other softwares are available
and just get some feedback for other apps that could possibly be used.
Thanks for the info

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back