Versant 2100 RIP?

wonderings

So we are finishing a deal to replace our J75 with a new Versant 2100. We have been given a substantial deal because of the problems we have been having with our J75, pretty much since the beginning.

Anyways, when going through the Xerox website and the build your own Versant 2100 it lists 3 RIPs:
Xerox® FreeFlow® Print Server Version 9
Xerox® EX 2100 Print Server, Powered by Fiery®
Xerox® EX-P 2100 Print Server, Powered by Fiery®

We are sticking with Fiery, so the FreeFlow is out. With our J75 we have the "best" RIP that was offered with it, I cannot remember the name. We are looking to get the equivalent to what we paid for when we bought our troublesome J75, which is the higher end RIP. So we told them that we wanted the EX-P 2100 Print Server. We are at the point of signing the contract and finishing the whole thing. I noticed on the contract for the RIP they had a name I had not heard of. We questioned this as we are being as detailed with this go around as possible because of the problems and promises they made in the past.

Now they are saying it comes with EFIPRO80. I cannot find any information on this. The other option is the EFIQX100, that is $20,000 more. I am waiting to hear back from them about this, but thought I would ask here first. Anyone have any experience with these RIPS? I am assuming every RIP that Xerox sells with the Versant 2100 is 10bit. Did they just change the RIP names EX 2100, EX-P 2100 or are these new and different RIPS that what are listed on Xeroxs website?

Xerox Versant® 2100 Press | Xerox Virtual Overview Tool

We got ours with the EX-P 2100 (just installed in Jan 2015). It is the quad-4 "hyper-RIP", which is 40% faster than the regular EX-2100 RIP. Also, I don't think the "full-width array" feature will run under the normal Fiery RIP (EX-2100).

Not familiar with the "EFIPRO80", but, from the name, sounds like it's the Fiery EX-P RIP for the Versant 80 (not the 2100). Are you sure they are proposing a Versant 2100 and not the Versant 80? I don't think the Versant 80 is even available here in the states, yet. Never heard of the "EFIQX100", so, can't help you there.

Something sounds fishy. Perhaps they are trying to cut costs to mitigate their loss on the "substantial deal" on the trade-out of your J75.

-Best

MailGuru

Something sounds fishy. Perhaps they are trying to cut costs to mitigate their loss on the "substantial deal" on the trade-out of your J75.

Gasp! Something fishy from Xerox sales?!?! :)
Man, I love my Xerox, but business-wise they make it real tough to work with them sometimes. Sales tactics as bad as the used car business.

Hi there - hope you don't mind me jumping in. I manage the social media presence for Xerox's Graphic Communications business. I reached out to a contact at EFI to gain a bit more clarification for you on this. Please see below for their response - I hope this helps, but if you have other questions, please let me know.

- Bill

---------------
QX100 and Pro80 are our model names for different Fiery server hardware. EFI offer two different Fiery server choices for the Versant 2100: the EX-P 2100 is a QX100, and the EX 2100 is a Pro80. Both Fiery server options for the Versant 2100 offer 10-bit.

If your contact had an EX J75 previously, they had Pro80 hardware, which was the highest end Fiery server available for the J75.

The Versant 2100 offers the QX100 (EX-P 2100) as the highest end Fiery server option available. Since it has more processing power (including Fiery HyperRIP), it’s ideally suited for users who do a lot of complex VDP jobs, send a lot of very large, complex files, send large volumes of smaller jobs that need to get out the door quickly, want to ensure they’re prepared for increased print volumes in the future, or just want to make sure they can help keep data flowing to their print engine faster (a benefit for the Versant 2100, since it is faster than the J75).

Here’s a white paper EFI put together that explains how a higher end Fiery server like the EX-P 2100 can benefit a customer’s business: http://w3.efi.com/~/media/Files/EFI..._DigitalFrontEndPerformance_WhitePaper_US.pdf

Gasp! Something fishy from Xerox sales?!?! :)
Man, I love my Xerox, but business-wise they make it real tough to work with them sometimes. Sales tactics as bad as the used car business.

Agreed. I, too have nothing but accolades for their equipment, and their service and support. However, when dealing with sales, you must do your research and homework. Not only about the equipment you are acquiring, but, also what your exact needs are. They are notorious for "over-selling" you on equipment and capacity that you don't really need. Also, pay close attention to the details of the deal (keep your eye on which of the three nut-shells has the pea under it).

-MailGuru

We got ours with the EX-P 2100 (just installed in Jan 2015). It is the quad-4 "hyper-RIP", which is 40% faster than the regular EX-2100 RIP. Also, I don't think the "full-width array" feature will run under the normal Fiery RIP (EX-2100).

Not familiar with the "EFIPRO80", but, from the name, sounds like it's the Fiery EX-P RIP for the Versant 80 (not the 2100). Are you sure they are proposing a Versant 2100 and not the Versant 80? I don't think the Versant 80 is even available here in the states, yet. Never heard of the "EFIQX100", so, can't help you there.

-Best

MailGuru

My original thought was it was for the Versant 80, it is not. We are without question talking about the Versant 2100.

Hi there - hope you don't mind me jumping in. I manage the social media presence for Xerox's Graphic Communications business. I reached out to a contact at EFI to gain a bit more clarification for you on this. Please see below for their response - I hope this helps, but if you have other questions, please let me know.

- Bill

---------------
QX100 and Pro80 are our model names for different Fiery server hardware. EFI offer two different Fiery server choices for the Versant 2100: the EX-P 2100 is a QX100, and the EX 2100 is a Pro80. Both Fiery server options for the Versant 2100 offer 10-bit.

If your contact had an EX J75 previously, they had Pro80 hardware, which was the highest end Fiery server available for the J75.

The Versant 2100 offers the QX100 (EX-P 2100) as the highest end Fiery server option available. Since it has more processing power (including Fiery HyperRIP), it’s ideally suited for users who do a lot of complex VDP jobs, send a lot of very large, complex files, send large volumes of smaller jobs that need to get out the door quickly, want to ensure they’re prepared for increased print volumes in the future, or just want to make sure they can help keep data flowing to their print engine faster (a benefit for the Versant 2100, since it is faster than the J75).

Here’s a white paper EFI put together that explains how a higher end Fiery server like the EX-P 2100 can benefit a customer’s business: http://w3.efi.com/~/media/Files/EFI..._DigitalFrontEndPerformance_WhitePaper_US.pdf

Thanks for the reply, it is indeed confusing. I was on the phone with an expert this morning and he had no idea what the EX 2100 Print Server or Xerox EX-P 2100 Print Server was.

So the main differences would be power basically? We do not want to step back in features and I have been trying to get clarification with no luck so far. Does the EX 2100 a.k.a. EFIPRO80 come with the Adobe Print Engine? Does this include the graphics art package v1? We currently have the Graphics art package V1 and the Adobe PDF Print engine on the Fiery RIP we have with our J75 and do not want to step back and lose features.

So the main difference between the EX-P and the EX would be processing power? I know there are some other features int he EX-P like trapping, separations, etc. I am looking for the differences for running a single Versant 2100, not powering anything else. We are not a 24/7 Print shop and would not be pushing the Versant 2100 to its max that is for sure. We do want to make sure we have the tools that we need and want and not be stepping down in this upgrade. Outside of speed, these RIPS would process jobs the same? One is not going to make better prints then the next?

Thanks for the reply, it is indeed confusing. I was on the phone with an expert this morning and he had no idea what the EX 2100 Print Server or Xerox EX-P 2100 Print Server was.

So the main differences would be power basically? We do not want to step back in features and I have been trying to get clarification with no luck so far. Does the EX 2100 a.k.a. EFIPRO80 come with the Adobe Print Engine? Does this include the graphics art package v1? We currently have the Graphics art package V1 and the Adobe PDF Print engine on the Fiery RIP we have with our J75 and do not want to step back and lose features.

So the main difference between the EX-P and the EX would be processing power? I know there are some other features int he EX-P like trapping, separations, etc. I am looking for the differences for running a single Versant 2100, not powering anything else. We are not a 24/7 Print shop and would not be pushing the Versant 2100 to its max that is for sure. We do want to make sure we have the tools that we need and want and not be stepping down in this upgrade. Outside of speed, these RIPS would process jobs the same? One is not going to make better prints then the next?

Hello again. I just got a response back from my EFI contact, hopefully the information below helps:

-----
Yes, the primary difference between the EX-P 2100 and EX 2100 is processing power. The EX-P 2100 also comes standard with the Fiery Graphic Arts Package, Premium Edition, which provides advanced tools for troubleshooting & fixing file issues as well as making last minute color corrections (it also includes more options for separations & trapping that he mentioned). Aside from that, all imaging & color features are the same on both servers.

The EX 2100 is very similar in features to the EX J75 - both Fiery servers for the Versant 2100 include APPE and the features in the Graphic Arts Package v1 that your contact mentioned. So no worry about “stepping back in features"

Hello again. I just got a response back from my EFI contact, hopefully the information below helps:

-----
Yes, the primary difference between the EX-P 2100 and EX 2100 is processing power. The EX-P 2100 also comes standard with the Fiery Graphic Arts Package, Premium Edition, which provides advanced tools for troubleshooting & fixing file issues as well as making last minute color corrections (it also includes more options for separations & trapping that he mentioned). Aside from that, all imaging & color features are the same on both servers.

The EX 2100 is very similar in features to the EX J75 - both Fiery servers for the Versant 2100 include APPE and the features in the Graphic Arts Package v1 that your contact mentioned. So no worry about “stepping back in features"

Thanks for the info.

I did get it all laid out for me this afternoon with side by side comparisons. I have to say, it can be very confusing and a real fight to get answers in regards to EFI RIPS. It also does not help that the Xerox website lists a different name for the RIPs that do not match the names you have internally. We did get it all sorted and can see that we are not losing any upgraded features we had with the J75 RIP.

Thanks again for the help!

We have the EX2100 RIP, not the EXP, and the Full Width Array works just fine with it.

We have the EX2100 RIP, not the EXP, and the Full Width Array works just fine with it.

I was not really worried about the RIP working fine, it is a step up into production from light production, Xeroxs words not mine. Getting info on the RIPs themselves is very difficult. Just wanted to make sure add on features we had on our J75 RIP would be on the Xerox 2100 RIP that comes with the machine. Did not think it would be an overly complicated question, but took a fair bit of time to get a definite answer on 3 features. Xerox also made it very confusing, the RIPs name on Xeroxs website is different then what they use in house, so finding someone who could even sort out what was what was a task. It is all sorted now though, I did get a side by side feature comparison for what I was looking for. Should be signing the papers today.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back