Versant 280 Splotchy/Mottled Color on Heavy Stock

VanCleef

We've just replaced the 2nd BTR and coated stock at 271 GSM prints just fine but when I try and run heavier 300+ coated cover I'm getting splotchy uneven areas of color. I've checked drum carts, calibrated the color density etc. At this point I'm thinking this may have to do with humidity but I'm not sure what types of visual flaws can be created by humidity? See attachment. Image on the left is a box printed last year, image on right is a print from today. Again, other jobs are printing just fine, it seems to have to do with the thickness of the paper. I've printed the same image on the heavier paper and thinner paper and get different results.

Attachments

• IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 83
I would try adjusting the image transfer. Go to your custom paper setting that you're using for this paper and then select adjust image transfer. I always select by numbers and then scan the sheet after it prints out a sample.

I'll give that a try first thing next week and let you know how it goes. We've used this paper a lot before but something might have changed after the recent maintenance. Thanks.

I use a V80 so I'm not sure what the equivalent setting is on the V280 but change the paper type setting to Embossed or Cast Coated at the heaviest paper weight.

I wanted to follow up on this thread. After a week or so of not using the printer upon returning to printing the issue was gone. I believe the splotchy color was happening due to static electricity perhaps caused by quick fluctuations of hot and cold in the workplace. We were experiencing extreme cold temps at the time.

That's all I've got! The machine seems to be printing fine now. Thanks for the feedback.

I wanted to follow up on this thread. After a week or so of not using the printer upon returning to printing the issue was gone. I believe the splotchy color was happening due to static electricity perhaps caused by quick fluctuations of hot and cold in the workplace. We were experiencing extreme cold temps at the time.

That's all I've got! The machine seems to be printing fine now. Thanks for the feedback.
I used to have a similar problem at our previous location.
Next time this happens, try this little test which I used to use:
Heat up the sheet by printing a tiny black dot on the page (outside of the print area) and then put the same sheet through again but this time with your CMYK image.
I used to do this when running 350gsm Business Cards which used to mottle on the solids due to the cold.

I used to have a similar problem at our previous location.
Next time this happens, try this little test which I used to use:
Heat up the sheet by printing a tiny black dot on the page (outside of the print area) and then put the same sheet through again but this time with your CMYK image.
I used to do this when running 350gsm Business Cards which used to mottle on the solids due to the cold.
I do have this problem. Will try your trick. Thanks.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back