Versant 80P and envelopes

Keith

I know this subject has been beat to death but I may be getting a Versant 80 Production model in the next couple of months and I want to know what brand of envelopes you use. Everyone on here has been saying how great it does envelopes. Currently, I have a C75 and it will run envelopes well, as long as I use Mohawk Everyday Digital #10. Please don't suggest Xante/Oki/Memjet/Whatever. I've been down that road.

Not even sure what brand we use, same stuff that goes on our press. We have never used "digital" envelopes, just the standard press stuff and it has been great. This is on our Versant 2100, so a bit different, though I would think it would only be better on an V80 because it is small.

The only time I have had a jam was at the feeder and that was my mistake when loading them, had some curl up in the tray. No experience with anything other then #10 plain and window envelopes.

Thank you Wonderings. That tells me a lot since I can't run regular white wove envelopes.

We have 2 V80's in the shop. They will run any brand of envelope. I would not consider it an envelope press though. You will need to babysit it all the way for envelopes. We do runs of 500-1000 all the time but for 2500-5000 I look at buying preprinted.

Are you looking at buying new? Xerox in our area has always been very gracious in allowing us to run jobs on their machines before buying. We would always test our most difficult digital stuff and make sure it works. Why not take the envelopes you want to use and run a live job on their machine, or at least run some samples to see how it runs and the colour.

X2 on using plain 'ole envelopes. Only digital envelope I use on my V80 is digital #10 windows. I'm told that the window material is different to withstand the heat of fusing better. At only $2/M more I figured why even question it.

We have 2 V80's in the shop. They will run any brand of envelope. I would not consider it an envelope press though. You will need to babysit it all the way for envelopes. We do runs of 500-1000 all the time but for 2500-5000 I look at buying preprinted.

That's what I wanted to hear! I suspected and hoped that would be the case. Babysitting comes with the territory when you don't have a conveyor belt. We typically do runs of less then 2500 when it's static but will go up to 5000 if they are addressed.

Stickman42, we've always used digital window envelopes because nondigital window will crinkle-up and look terrible.

. Please don't suggest Xante/Oki/Memjet/Whatever. I've been down that road.
- We typically do runs of less then 2500 when it's static but will go up to 5000 if they are addressed.
- we've always used digital window envelopes because nondigital window will crinkle-up and look terrible.

I work for Xante (Europe) and we supply our envelope printer to many envelope manufacturing/printing companies all over the world with very positive results. Just curious; why is the Xanté printer not good enough for you and how long ago have you seen the Xanté Impressia for the last time? I really would like to know, so we can work on that.

Xanté Impressia:
Input+Output 1.000 envelopes (±30 on Xerox, ±100 in the high cap feeder )
78 #10 envelopes per minute (± 20 ppm Xerox, machine settings to heavy weight (=slow) and envelopes needs short edge feed)
±$ 0,01 per envelope (±$ 0,05 Xerox)
Special designed fuser for speed+pressure+heat settings for 2 sheets of thin paper (envelope) instead of 1 sheet of thick paper settings, so no wrinkling of the paper, especially with catalog envelopes and NO digital envelopes needed, only when using windows,
(for Xerox info see page 57 of official Xerox Customer expectation guide: http://ipitchpro.com/Documents/Versant-80-EFI_CEIG.pdf )

We run envelopes on our V2100 all the time. No special "digital" brand needed. We use stock standard #10, #10 window, #9 regular, 6 x 9, A-2, A-7, 9 x 12, 10 x 13, etc. From MAC papers. Runs like a champ, no jams, no impression marks on the seams. Do wish they had a better output system, though. The envelopes on the V2100 must exit to the top tray, which, only holds 100 or so envelopes.

We run envelopes on our V2100 all the time. No special "digital" brand needed. We use stock standard #10, #10 window, #9 regular, 6 x 9, A-2, A-7, 9 x 12, 10 x 13, etc. From MAC papers. Runs like a champ, no jams, no impression marks on the seams. Do wish they had a better output system, though. The envelopes on the V2100 must exit to the top tray, which, only holds 100 or so envelopes.

That is my only complaint. In less then 2 minutes you have to empty the top tray otherwise it stops, beeps and wastes precious time restarting after you clear it. Basically you have to stand with it while running a job. I do fill both high cap trays with #10's and keep it running without stop.

I know, right?

Physically, I can see no reason why you shouldn't be able to output to lower "stacker" tray that senses paper level and lowers itself to accommodate a higher volume. Especially, if you had some type of "output alignment tool" like you have on the input trays. Sadly, the RIP/printer software, will only allow output to the upper tray when selecting envelopes.

Xerox, are you listening????

-MailGuru

I know, right?

Physically, I can see no reason why you shouldn't be able to output to lower "stacker" tray that senses paper level and lowers itself to accommodate a higher volume. Especially, if you had some type of "output alignment tool" like you have on the input trays. Sadly, the RIP/printer software, will only allow output to the upper tray when selecting envelopes.

Xerox, are you listening????

-MailGuru

I mentioned it to my tech and he could have sworn that he had seen it printing to the high stack tray. I asked him to check into this for me, telling him I did not believe it and from what I have read here from other users. Turns out I was right... unfortunately, would have loved to have been wrong!

On my C75 with Advanced Finisher (corner stapling and hole punch), it has a middle tray that can hold a couple of thousand sheets (I think) and I did get it to send envelopes to it but it jammed a lot and when the stack got to over fifty envelopes or so, they would fall over and make a mess.

On my C75 with Advanced Finisher (corner stapling and hole punch), it has a middle tray that can hold a couple of thousand sheets (I think) and I did get it to send envelopes to it but it jammed a lot and when the stack got to over fifty envelopes or so, they would fall over and make a mess.

I had never tried envelopes on our old J75. Can't see why it would be any different, the end finisher is basically the same. The path is different on our Versant as the fuser is different and has a whole 2nd part for cooling down the paper... or something like that, can't remember the exact purpose of it. If Xerox could fix this and find a stable way to print to the stacker tray I can see the interest going right up. It was a huge bonus to be able to print envelopes with ease and no fuss. We would have bought the machine either way but it just made it that much easier knowing we could expand a little in what we offer digitally.

There are some weird spinny things that wack the envelopes as they come out of the stacker tray, and it wants to put 10 of the envelopes in a stack them eject them all over the place if you don't use the top tray.

We run Western States, the digi clear windows never wrinkle and are only a buck or 2/m more.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back