Want to relocate!

HecTiK

I'm looking to relocate to a new state. I have 2+ years of Assistant press operator (web) experience. Currently I am co-running an 80's Komori System 38. I am a very quick learner, and am capable of operating a press from setting up to finishing the job. My current place of employment is keeping busy, but they don't like to fix stuff, which is why I would like to move somewhere else.
-Andrew

I don't know if you are aware of the economy, espeacially in the printing industry, it sucks! You should be thankfull you work in a shop that has work. Good luck to you.

No kidding, the company I am currently working with has had 3 rounds of layoffs in the last 6 months, may see another one at the end of the next quarter.

People there are still trying to dictate what they will and wont do on daily basis, it's amazing.

Good luck HecTIK, you may find something, but there will always be some sort of problem at any shop you go to.

Brent Weaver
Mankato MN

Came across this a little while ago and thought of you since your both in SD

We are looking for a hard-working individual to train with our lead press operator, learning the craft of letterpress printing. We are a commercial print shop that designs and prints our own stationery line as well as for designers nationally. Our main presses are the Heidelberg platen and cylinder, so a willingness to operate automated letterpress equipment (vs. a hand-fed press) is necessary. This is a paid, full-time position. Email us at [email protected] for further details.

Might give you something to consider and since letterpress is a process you can proudly display on your portfolio.

Brent W.
Mankato, MN

Letterpress

Letterpress

It's a job, I guess. I used to do letterpress work on Kluge's 30+ years ago for part time work while working full time on 77" Miehle presses. In fact my part time job was providing the labels for the folding carton plant where I worked. I learned how to make the lead type and everything. It was a neat job, but it sure didn't pay much. I can't imagine that it has changed much. I can't imagine that it will help me get a job today though.

Strange coincidence

Strange coincidence

So I'm looking through the job listings this morning and there is a company out there looking for someone who can do the following:

Must be able to do both hand/manual feed on a letterpress as well as autofeed. Also must be able to run a 5/C 28" offset press.

I never thought I'd see that combination as long as I lived. I didn't apply because I haven't worked on letterpresses in 28 years.

The one neat thing I learned from setting type on the Ludlow was how to read upside down and backwards. Unfortunately, it isn't a skill I get to use too often these days.

HecTik you can try craigslist.org Pick your state or a state you might want to work in, and select Arts/Media or there is a professional trade area also. I was amazed at how many positions there where even in this bad economy.
There is also ihireprinting.com you can sign up for 7 days free but it is a pay site but all jobs are printing industry related. Actually you can view jobs for free after 7 days but you can not get the contact or details with out paying for it.
One other thing is if you are a second pressman on a web press even though you may be able to set up and run I would think that with 2 years of experience is not alot to think you would be able to jump into running a sheet fed press. I have run a good amount of sheet fed and I have not run web presses but I did work in a web shop running direct mail. They where training press operators in 6 moths, somehow I don't ever see that happening in a large sheet fed plant. Not that I would discourage you from any job I just think that sheet fed is a different animal.
Hope it helps and best of luck.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back