Way isn't yellow, yellow in digital printing?

mutti8000

Maybe a stupid question but it has been on my mind for a while..
At first i only thought it was older digital printers, but i just came back from Ipex and all the new digital toner machines still has this odd behaviour.

So the question is: why isen't yellow yellow in digital printing?
Under a loupe the the yellow is actually screende and build from yellow and magenta!?

Maybe is should start to mix some magenta in my yellow on my offset press ;)

/mc

It isn't 100% yellow because you are looking at a simulated yellow. If you have a fiery (or creo) you will see there is a simulation setting which trys to make your machine mimic what ever you have in your simulation. So it may be SWOP or Euroscale etc etc. If you set this to none and try and print 100% yellow you should see 100% yellow and nothing else.

Maybe a stupid question but it has been on my mind for a while..
At first i only thought it was older digital printers, but i just came back from Ipex and all the new digital toner machines still has this odd behaviour.

So the question is: why isen't yellow yellow in digital printing?
Under a loupe the the yellow is actually screende and build from yellow and magenta!?

Maybe is should start to mix some magenta in my yellow on my offset press ;)

/mc

On the Ricoh Pro C900 Fiery RIP (and any other RIP I imagine, not sure about the Creo) if you switch off colorwise and print a 100% yellow file the engine will only lay down 100% yellow.

Since digital toner is not as transparent as prining inks you will not get the same trapping propperties of ink. This is very noticaple in the secondary colours. So there must be a compromise in colour to get as good match as possible for both primaries and secondaries, Even with this compromise from the toner manufacturers the result is not close enough to the offsett, and so we usually need to apply some sort of colour management to be able to use CMYK files/settings from offsett or webb.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back