What "alternative" stock does your Ilumina take?

chknlegs

Hey everyone,

I would like to know what everyone is running through their Iluminas. I'm an offset printer who uses the Ilumina for small re-runs due to errors in finishing. I tend to try using offset stocks often but sometimes I don't get good results.

Is there anyone attempting to use stock that is not on the "compatible" list from Xante? I've had some good results some stocks such as Supreme Silk Cover. Unfortunately we use house stocks so it's rare that we get to use other stocks.

Any input is great! :)

Chknlegs

I use a lot of Carolina Coated board through the Ilumina with good results and Kromkote works well too.

We also have run 60# offset and 20# bond with no problem, but gloss book sheets do not give as good a result.

The Mohawk line of digital book sheets and cover (not gloss) work really well.

We also run a lot of high end uncoated cover, like Classic Crest, Howard Linen, Strathmore Bristol and some thick covers from art stores with good results.

We run almost anything through the Xante's converted stocks work will for imprinting with the straight paper path using the bypass trays. Hallmark has a room full of these.

We run mostly business cards, short-run newsletters and letterhead, and some #10s. Almost always use Cougar 100# for the cards and Lynx 70# smooth or an equivalent for letterhead that has any solids in it. Sometimes a linen 80# works, though it's kind of a crap shoot. Most any smooth cover works just fine. Seems that using the native program settings for thickness works best when done from the computer rather than from the screen on the printer, and sometimes setting "Thick Glossy" when you're running on a matt stock with large solids works best. Guess it's a matter of heat and speed.

Hello
I have a friend who uses Nekoosa 100# gloss Digital cover and works very well
also the matching gloss text 80# and 100#. all the solids and type print very well.
Good Luck
Rob in VA

My Ilumina will print on just about any stock I can shove in there. So far, the exception has been Hammermill gloss text (jams at the fuser) and Hammermill 20lb bond (toner doesn't stick and ghosts done the page).

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back