What are Pantone P colours?

wonderings

Had a client doing a rebranding and they have a bunch of Pantone P colours. I have never seen these before. do these translate to specific Pantone U or C colours for 2 and 3 colour prints? Or is this supposed to be some CMYK Pantone?

What are the specific colors?

Knowing the numbering for those colors may tell as much about your color builds as the letter suffix. If you can share the colors, maybe we could be more help.

From there own website:

Pantone CMYK / 4–Color Process Guides Coated, Uncoated
(examples: PANTONE P 11-4 C, PANTONE P 69-15 U).

These guides offer an independent collection of nearly 3,000 CMYK colors that bear no relationship to the Pantone Matching System.

Premium colors that only subscribers to the PANTONE PREMIUM COLOR INDEX 2024 MASTER COLLECTION can see. Hope you subscribed, because a Canva designer saw that the COLOR OF THE YEAR is INCREDIBLE PURPLE #72 (TM) (Patent Pending), and guess what color they decided to use for their SWANKY NEW BUSINESS CARDS...

BUY TODAY FOR $99 PER MONTH or BUY A YEARLY PLAN FOR $850 and SEE THE RICHEST MOST VIBRANT COLORS YOU'LL EVER SEE (until we update the swatchbooks for next year)

Or get the student plan for free!

I, for one, no longer see Pantone as a standard.
Their Adobe app is utter, complete dog do do. Person should be fired.

This is why DEI is the devil. Can't even make a product at a large company anymore without some idiot getting involved and screwing it up for the millions of users that just want to get something done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Their Adobe app is utter, complete dogshit. Person should be fired.

This is why DEI is the devil. Can't even make a product at a large company anymore without some idiot getting involved and screwing it up for the millions of users that just want to get something done.
You think diversity equity and inclusion is "the devil" because big companies nickel and dime people?

You think diversity equity and inclusion is "the devil" because big companies nickel and dime people?
I'm being quite clear. On the topic of X-Rite and PANTONE colors, their app by which you facilitate the use of these colors is insanely bad. It's a symptom of policies enacted by people that are barely functioning adults and have no ability to reason about the repercussions of their decisions over a short or long period of time.

You end up getting apps that don't make any sense, but millions of people are forced to use them because "market share". The millions of people are not only forced to spend money to use this shit app, but they are forced to waste their time navigating the poorly thought out interfaces. Ask yourself, if over a year, an average of 1 million people used that app and lost on average 30 minutes of productivity versus the previous situation, how many human minutes have been spent on a problem invented by X-Rite/PANTONE?

That's my big point.

Here's a casual screenshot of 4 people in a row complaining about the app separate of how much money it costs.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 20-33-24 Pantone Connect Adobe Exchange.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 20-33-24 Pantone Connect Adobe Exchange.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 148
I'm not saying that app isn't bad. I'm just curious how you think the app being bad is the result of diversity. That seems like quite a leap.
How else do you end up with completely incompetent people working for an operation that otherwise executes well (enough)? Mind you the app has been in the same state since it launched - that means they don't fucking care and no one is removing them from their seat of power, probably because of politics.

How else do you end up with completely incompetent people working for an operation that otherwise executes well (enough)? Mind you the app has been in the same state since it launched - that means they don't fucking care and no one is removing them from their seat of power, probably because of politics.
Near monopolistic power? A lack of concern due to market dominance? Rampant nepotism? just a few other ideas... In my experience a diverse group tends to see problems from a unique perspective.

In more research it seems the colours are indeed in Indesign already and may have been for a while. I still don't understand the purpose of these colours. With my clients rebranding they have a bunch of these Pantone colours. Pantone 99-8 C. I know the C is for coated, the rest identifies what pantone colour it is for this library. Where is this useful? It is still a CMYK makeup so printing digital across different devices is not going to print the same colour. I can't find anything that describes what the purpose of these colours are. I know the purpose of standard Pantone U and C for printing, that makes sense. Anyone able to shed any light on these pantone colours??

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back