What are the most common mailing options for sheetfed press runs?

DRSchmitz

I'm doing some research on how various printed materials are mailed and thought some of you here might have some insights. I'm trying to identify the most common U.S. postal mailing options typically used with sheetfed press productions. Since these runs are typically smaller than web press runs, I assume the mail class options used are likely different. So, if you take into consideration that the Direct Marketing Association defines "direct mail" as a combination of First-Class, Standard Mail and Package Services Mail, are there subcategories of those options you're most likely to see used with sheet fed run products?

Here's what falls under those categories:

First-Class Mail:
Single-Piece Letters
Single-Piece Cards
Presort Letters
Presort Cards
Flats
Parcels

Standard Mail:
High Density and Saturation Letters
High Density and Saturation Flats & Parcels
Letters
Flats
Not Flat-Machinables and Parcels

Package Services Mail:
Bound Printed Matter Flats

Or am I wrong in the assumption and there aren't clear distinctions between how the end products of sheet and web runs are mailed, i.e. they're both plotted all over these categories depending on the nature of the product?

Yes I think it depend on the nature of the product. I work for a small printing company. We have 3 sheet fed offset presses. I do both printing and mailing in house. We primarily use standard mail, as most of our work is promotional material. We also do a lot for non-profits that get even more of a discount. Occasionally we do Presorted First class if a piece is time sensitive or doesn't qualify for standard mail due to content. I believe with saturation letters and flats you as a mail house have to mail a certain amount of pieces per year. I know that our shop does not do that kind of mail volume.

I believe with saturation letters and flats you as a mail house have to mail a certain amount of pieces per year. I know that our shop does not do that kind of mail volume.

Saturation and High Density Mail relates to the number of pieces per Carrier Route, if you have a list that qualifies, anyone can claim the discount as long as the piece is processed properly.

Ahh. I guess we just never have mailings that large. The option in always grayed out in my software. Thought I read somewhere that had to be a million or more.

Our varies by the customer. Some do live first class stamps, and then to the opposite end of the spectrum to non profit and media mail. Just really depends on the end user.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back