What book are you currently reading?

Just finished The Hunt for Red October...basically an IKEA catalog of military hardware with some people running around inside it. I'll stick with Tom Clancy-based movies from here on out and take a pass on his books.

Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Breem. One of the best books I have ever read. Its historical fiction about the late roman empire holding off the 'hairy barbarians" trying to cross the Rhone in winter.

Just finished The Hunt for Red October...basically an IKEA catalog of military hardware with some people running around inside it. I'll stick with Tom Clancy-based movies from here on out and take a pass on his books.

I recently read that book too. Liked the movie better but did enjoy learning more about some of the characters (especially Marko Ramius) in the book which the movie didn't spend a lot of time (which I wouldn't expect them to).

I am currently reading Jurassic Park. Loved the movie.

Baltimore Blues, Laura Lippman.
Lots of question about Baltimore!
Is it really this dull like the author describes?
Reminds me of my Perth in Western Australia

The Tale of the Devil
by Dr. Coleman C. Hatfield
Biography of Anderson "Devil Anse" Hatfield
of the Hatfield & McCoy Feud

"Steve Jobs: A Biography" by Walter Isaacson

Paraphrasing my favorite line from the book: "In Steve Jobs' view, you were either a hero or a sh!thead; often in the same day."

Pantone coated to process, 2008. Starts out bright and cheery, but gets pretty gloomy and dark towards the end.

Oh, you mean at home... that'd be Black Hills by Dan Simmons. It centers around a Native American named Paha Sapa living in the late 1800's, early 1900's. It's fiction, but some pretty good American History stuff in there too. Starts slow, gets pretty good. Recommended.

Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 A.D) : Keskusteluja Tusculumissa (excellent Finnish translation of 'Tusculanae disputationes')

Day of War - Its the first in the Lion of War series.
Lion of War
Its about King David and his warriors. Really exciting! And their making them into movies.
I went to college with the author. Our wives hung out mostly. Cant wait to read the third book.

You went to College?

You went to College?

"And their making them into movies."

I usually let this stuff go giving the poster the benefit of the doubt, but in your case it just seems too much.

Al

C'mon Al, "I usually let this stuff go", if I could collect on all of your "2 cents" worth of criticism I've noticed in your postings over the years, I could sell my tools and run off to the tropics....:)

Well I am glad to know that somebody reads my stuff. If you really think it would add up to that much, then split it with me and we'll go together.

The fact is that we see a lot of miss spelling and poor grammar on line, even at web sites of well funded companies. But it's usually not on the same post where college attendance is claimed.

What bothered me is not so much that he didn't learn to spell, but the fact that he didn't learn to care!

Al

Just finished "Islam For Dummies".
Certainly helps one understand some of the factors driving some current events. I think it left out a few of the naughty bits though.

Best, gordo

Benjamin Franklin biography (by Walter Isaacson), in print, and autobiography of Benjamin Franklin - free download.
Ben was quite the man.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back