What causes this...

well there'sw an old trick a Tibetan Monk taught me a little over 200 years ago....

IF you can get the image into photoshop, give it a small blur - so those bits on the edge blur a bit

then open LEVELS <not curves>

drag left slider to middle and the right hand slider to the middle - this will sharpen it but may not be perfect

PitStop, Neo, PitStop Extreme will not help with the problem of these halftone dots from a scan. PhotoShop can help. Those "scum dots" can come from dirty optics, too little light from the bulb, etc. The sample in the original post could be from the imaging unit trying to print the solid line as a halftone (sometimes happens) or a poor quality laser printer. For that though, PhotoShop is what you need for this. No "PDF editor" will help.

Spot On!

Crap In - Crap Out!!

well there'sw an old trick a Tibetan Monk taught me a little over 200 years ago....

IF you can get the image into photoshop, give it a small blur - so those bits on the edge blur a bit

then open LEVELS <not curves>

drag left slider to middle and the right hand slider to the middle - this will sharpen it but may not be perfect

Levels can't fix the problem. :p

I'll be keeping PitStop on my Want List!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Okay, but AT SOME STAGE it was scanned and converted to PDF.

PitStop will be of NO use for this!

It was never scanned and converted to PDF. Customer created it and sent in a low resolution PDF which was printed. Then I scanned it to show it on the forum. ;)

Mysterio2099,

"Customer created it and sent in a low resolution PDF which was printed."

I'd love to see the original customer pdf. In my earlier response I said that a file conversion would not cause this but if a vector pdf was opened in photoshop at a resolution lower that 300 dpi then yes it would make the type like you see it. If your customer sent in a "low resolution PDF", that doesn't necessarily mean that the type would be low rez. You can have a 72 dpi pdf but still have sharp/vector type. Somewhere along the line someone must have rasterized it.

Mysterio2099,

"Customer created it and sent in a low resolution PDF which was printed."

I'd love to see the original customer pdf. In my earlier response I said that a file conversion would not cause this but if a vector pdf was opened in photoshop at a resolution lower that 300 dpi then yes it would make the type like you see it. If your customer sent in a "low resolution PDF", that doesn't necessarily mean that the type would be low rez. You can have a 72 dpi pdf but still have sharp/vector type. Somewhere along the line someone must have rasterized it.

Unfortunately I don't have the old PDF on file. They've sent in high resolution files since this thread started.

I've never seen anything 72 DPI that was sharp. I guess 99% of 72 DPI items are rasterized, though. :D

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back