What is giclee printing?

UK Printer

We have a couple of canon wide format printers gathering dust in the unit here, ones a w7200 and the other a W8400.

We do all our wide format work on a mimaki solvent printer, so these two machine have stood idle for donkey's years now and i'd like to put them back to use.

So the question i have is, what makes a photographic print from a W8400 a 'giclee' print?

Is there a specific paper we need to print on, run some kind of dot pattern?

Appreciate your help with this.

All the best

Tim

Giclée is a marketing term that is used to create the impression that an inkjet printed piece of paper has a value far beyond the cost of the ink, paper, and labor required to print it.

Best, gordo

Giclée is a marketing term that is used to create the impression that an inkjet printed piece of paper has a value far beyond the cost of the ink, paper, and labor required to print it.

Best, gordo

Excellent answer Gordo!
Dont even think you can make money dealing with the demanding Giclee print market. :D
On top of the art dealers being BEYOND critical the print must be absolute perfection.

So after about 3 or 4 just to get close in color they usually find a spec of dirt then you reprint it now you are in to 5 (if you are lucky) then they want to change the color a shade you accomplished at print #2.
This a shortened story. I could go on and on.

Sorry, couldn't help it. :D

Careful there...I bought my first MAC in Febuary 1984 - it enabled me, with a bit of work on my part, in just over a year to get the down payment on my first house. That would not have been possible without the MAC.

I thought I'd share this link to how Samsung, who's in a patent battle royale with the great pomme, views Apple's user interface design. It's quite revealing of the thinking that has always gone into Apple's design.

http://allthingsd.com/files/2012/08/44_iPhone_GalaxyS1_review.pdf

Apple is by no means perfect, of course, but it sure is better than the other guys.

Best, gordo

That 1984 MAC didn't borrow anything from what APPLE stole from PARC did it. But hey. Everyone is allowed to overlook the obvious fact that bickering over the size of a font or button or rounded corners does nothing but make the lawyers rich and the people pay more.

As long as there is no world patent control this will continue to feed the mouthes of the sharks and nothing more. FYI: Apple did lose on key points today. Not a complete victory for Samsung but it was a large amount that got tossed.

And for kicks:
http://pauloflaherty.com/files/2012/06/Tablet-PC.jpg

That 1984 MAC didn't borrow anything from what APPLE stole from PARC did it. But hey. Everyone is allowed to overlook the obvious fact that bickering over the size of a font or button or rounded corners does nothing but make the lawyers rich and the people pay more.

As long as there is no world patent control this will continue to feed the mouthes of the sharks and nothing more. FYI: Apple did lose on key points today. Not a complete victory for Samsung but it was a large amount that got tossed.

And for kicks:
http://pauloflaherty.com/files/2012/06/Tablet-PC.jpg

Hmmm, Apple did not steal xerox parc's ideas. Apple has made no secret that it licensed some of them in the early days of the MAC almost thirty years ago. And that 2002 Microsoft tablet? The photo in your humorous link is misleading. The MS tablet was a standard laptop with a rotating screen which could be folded down and written on with a stylus - nothing like the iPad at all.

In any case, being first is not always the important thing (I.e. the Xerox Star publishing system of 1981). Making something that actually works (the 1984 MAC system (that I bought)) is probably more important for market success and putting a dent in the universe.

Peace, gordo

Last edited:
Woah fan boy central.

I find it comical how Apple fans justify suing the crap out of everyone for stealing Apples "ideas' but then use things like "being first is not always the important thing" when Apple is taking from someone else (Cloud Sync, OTA updates, opening up 3rd party apps to share right from the camera are things added to the new IOS coming. Antenna designs also should be freely copied right?). Just something I've come to see a lot of.

Mr Gates bailed out Steve/Apple because he believed there was a place for Bentleys in the computer world. I agree with him. I don't agree with the holier than thou attitude Apple and their followers show. So please spare me the Android stole this or Samsung stole that. Ask Greg Hughes about Apple "borrowing" from the little guy.

Also, the PARC licenses were a little misleading. Xerox was the insurer of then Apple and would've "paid themselves" for the theft (which would've made zero sense with only the lawyers winning). Or is this inaccurate?

Woah fan boy central.

I find it comical how Apple fans justify suing the crap out of everyone for stealing Apples "ideas' but then use things like "being first is not always the important thing" when Apple is taking from someone else (Cloud Sync, OTA updates, opening up 3rd party apps to share right from the camera are things added to the new IOS coming. Antenna designs also should be freely copied right?). Just something I've come to see a lot of.

Mr Gates bailed out Steve/Apple because he believed there was a place for Bentleys in the computer world. I agree with him. I don't agree with the holier than thou attitude Apple and their followers show. So please spare me the Android stole this or Samsung stole that. Ask Greg Hughes about Apple "borrowing" from the little guy.

Also, the PARC licenses were a little misleading. Xerox was the insurer of then Apple and would've "paid themselves" for the theft (which would've made zero sense with only the lawyers winning). Or is this inaccurate?

I don't understand your last sentence, but, Gates did not bail out Apple because he "believed there was a place for Bentleys in the computer world" as you put it. He gave Apple the $150 million bail out because Apple agreed to drop a long-running lawsuit in which they alleged Microsoft copied the look and feel of the Mac OS for Windows.

If you looked at the Samsung link I provided, it's pretty clear that Samsung was modeling their phone on the iPhone and copying it. Apple is by no means perfect - but IMHO - it's better than the alternative.

Best, gordo

Humm - interesting mutation from an innocent poster curious about what giclee printing is, twisted to someone's apparent challenges with Apple

- Billw, My original comment was that everyone does it. In tune with Gordo's no? It looks like I picked the wrong company to poke at (as I could've used about any of them). Gordo brought up the Samsung/Apple litigation in a serious defensive response to a joke. Nothing more. My "apparent" challenge with with hypocrisy. MS was dripping with it in the 90s and now Apple is. Next Samsung? Or Google? Or all of them. I hold none above the other (as I use devices from all of them).

- Gordo, Xerox insured Apple as I understood it. So, if Apple got sued and lost Xerox paid (so they would have paid themselves minus court/lawyer fees). That's what I was getting at. I could be wrong but that's what the documents I read had stated (along with the rebuttal on the NewYorker article). I think we can agree on the Greg Hughes issue but maybe not.

This is part of Samsung's defense.
http://www.kitguru.net/apple/jules/shots-that-challenge-apples-ability-to-beat-samsung/
"British courts have already said that Samsung has not copied Apple and the same court has required apple to spend money advertising that message."

Sorry to UK Printer. I will avoid further hijacking. An admin could easily move part of the thread to a new topic. If it doesn't move then I'll accept that it isn't a topic worth conversing on further.

Excellent answer Gordo!
Dont even think you can make money dealing with the demanding Giclee print market. :D
On top of the art dealers being BEYOND critical the print must be absolute perfection.

So after about 3 or 4 just to get close in color they usually find a spec of dirt then you reprint it now you are in to 5 (if you are lucky) then they want to change the color a shade you accomplished at print #2.
This a shortened story. I could go on and on.

This is very true. The Printshop that I worked in actually had a separate department, with office and show room, and dedicated salesperson to accommodate this very demanding type of client. That way it was kept separate from the rest of the business and hence less disruptive to production. By reflecting the customer's self image this also made the customer feel special, more cooperative, and more loyal.

Best, gordo

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back