what is the color sequence for process and two pms bumps

jms

I will be running a job. it is a car brochure 4-color process and a bump of pms 185 and cool gray 4, I have never ran anything like this before. I would really appreciate some information on what order I should put this inks down. should the pms inks go down first or last. the pms colors will enhance the look of the car in the light and dark areas. please help.

Last edited:
I will be running a job tommorow. it is a car brochure 4-color process and a bump of pms 185 and cool gray 4 I have never ran anything like this before. I would really appreciate some information on what order I should put this inks down. the pms colors will enhance the look of the car in the light and dark areas. please help.

My suggestion would be grey 4, PMS 185, KCMY Based on grey 4 being somewhat opaque then it dries a bit before being overprinted by K (or other colors) and ditto for PMS 185 which will likely be overprinted by M, Y, and possibly C. Being first down and as far away as the overprinting colors gives them a chance to dry for better trapping.

best, gordo

Imho

Imho

I'm guessing it's too late for this reply, but I'm not a big fan of overprinting a color with a lot of trans white in it. I'd have to see the piece to be able to tell about the red, but I'd definitely put the cool gray 4 down last.

I'm guessing it's too late for this reply, but I'm not a big fan of overprinting a color with a lot of trans white in it. I'd have to see the piece to be able to tell about the red, but I'd definitely put the cool gray 4 down last.

My thinking for why I suggested gray first was because in my experience the greys are not fully transparent, so if they overprint black then the black looks "cloudy" not quite black. I've seen varnish used instead of white in the formulation to get around that problem.

But I may be wrong.

What is your concern about the grey going down first, (then r,k,c,m,y) i.e. being overprinted?

thx, gordon p

I agree with nhprinter. Cool gray 4 is 97%
transparent white. It would need to go down
last for proper trapping.

6/c quandry

6/c quandry

Ah...once again the pressboys are trying to bail out the over-eager designer who "just wants it to look like my screen, dude!" Seriously, I run the 185 down first. Depending on the run length, you might consider adding a bit of reducing oil. Then KCMY. Last, the #4. Just imagine it's like overprinting with varnish, almost same consistency. Keep an eye on that #4 tinting if you don't have much coverage! BTW, #4 Grey down first might work if you run UV.

My thinking for why I suggested gray first was because in my experience the greys are not fully transparent, so if they overprint black then the black looks "cloudy" not quite black. I've seen varnish used instead of white in the formulation to get around that problem.

But I may be wrong.

What is your concern about the grey going down first, (then r,k,c,m,y) i.e. being overprinted?

thx, gordon p

Trapping was my concern. Even if this was being done in two passes and the gray was totally dry... inks don't sit well on a color with that much trans white.

I think a good rule of thumb ( if we are not printing U.V. ) is basically darkest color down first. It is all about the trap. Usually the highest tacks belong to the inks with the darkest pigments. Unless their is no overprint ( I.E. floating type ), I believe for trapping purposes the best sequence would be K,C,M,185,C.G. #4,Y. I normally like to keep the process together, so I don't have to fight internal registration, but it is alot easier to get fit, than it is to make it trap.

Id try KCMY then red then grey. Depends though, you may need a trial run to see if the grey is trapping right on top or looking right under the process. In which case it miight need to be swapped and moved earlier. If its multi pass job either way will work

Well guys I ran the job and gotto say it came out really good.
It seams just about all of you guys had different
opinions on how to run this job. The best way was pms 185 down
first then k,c,m,y and last cool gray 4. The customer was there for a presscheck
and signed off within 10 min. The job was for Mazda cars and it seems we will
be getting more work from them,

Thanks, jms

Well guys I ran the job and gotto say it came out really good.
It seams just about all of you guys had different opinions on how to run this job. The best way was pms 185 down first then k,c,m,y and last cool gray 4. The customer was there for a presscheck and signed off within 10 min. The job was for Mazda cars and it seems we will be getting more work from them,

Thanks, jms

Awesome!

That's the bottom line a satisfied customer.

gordon p

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back