What is the recommendation to print 2,000,000 booklet in 21 working days -8 hours/day

Georgeam

I want to have a solution to print 2,000,000 booklet in BW with 5 A3 pages double side within 21 working days -8 hours/day. So number of click based on A4 paper size is 2M*5*4= 40M clicks.

What would be the best digital printing solution for this?

Probably not on an impressions click charge based machine!

How much of the job is variable? One page? A whole page? A smaller section of a single page?

I don’t have time to work this out at the moment, however my first guess would be the Kodak Prosper 1000 digital web press or Kodak S-series heads mounted on a web press for a hybrid result. 650 feet/minute or 200metres/minute for the Prosper 1000 with an imaging width of around 24 inches or 600mm. Of course, this does not factor in finishing time!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
I want to have a solution to print 2,000,000 booklet in BW with 5 A3 pages double side within 21 working days -8 hours/day. So number of click based on A4 paper size is 2M*5*4= 40M clicks.

What would be the best digital printing solution for this?

Hi Georgeam,

Do you still have the C8000? What are your other devices? Continuous feed or sheet fed digital?
What kind of booklet making finisher do you have or intend to use?
For the booklets, will it be 2M files and a very large file? PDF or other format?

Over 21 days of operations, you'll need to impose, print and finish 12,000 booklets per hour.
Contact me directly and I'll share our expertize with similar customer projects.

Ray Duval
Ultimate TechnoGraphics
raymond @ imposition.com

Last edited:
I love these responses saying to not run it on a digital cut sheet.

I'm currently printing 1,300,000 prints for 1 job 1/0. I can print 100,000 sheets an 8 hour shift and plan to have the job complete in 6 working days running 2 shifts.

I'm running a 120 and a 4127. Hardly anything over the top.

I love these responses saying to not run it on a digital cut sheet.

I'm currently printing 1,300,000 prints for 1 job 1/0. I can print 100,000 sheets an 8 hour shift and plan to have the job complete in 6 working days running 2 shifts.

I'm running a 120 and a 4127. Hardly anything over the top.

We just did a job that was almost 7mil imp, 8.5 x 11 1/1 ran 3 shifts and complete the job in one week. Running on 288's & 314's.

We just did a job that was almost 7mil imp, 8.5 x 11 1/1 ran 3 shifts and complete the job in one week. Running on 288's & 314's.

Exactly my point. I can print black ink dirt cheap; my clicks are low and I have a good relationship with our commodity paper rep. I'm not sure why the adverse reaction to 2,000,000 clicks.

Are you out in Vegas KopyBoss? I'd love to tour your facility if I'm ever in your area.

I think he means 40 million clicks. 2 million booklets.

And what is a “cheap” black only click rate if one has 10, 20, 40 million clicks?

Does every sheet need to be variable? Could the bulk of the job be printed on a non-click machine, with the variable imprinting done using a click based machine? Could a non-click based machine be used for the entire job?

What are the impressions per hour are we talking of here? What if A3 printing is half the speed of A4? What if duplex printing is half the speed of single sided?

Only one 8 hour shift per day is running, I would presume that there may only be say 6-7 hours of solid print production in this time. Then there is the finishing. Will trimming be required? Is the bookleting being done inline (how will this affect print speed) or offline?

It is really helpful to have some quotes on production speeds for printing and finishing.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
InforPrint

That is where I would start

Can you elaborate a bit CSimpson?

What model?

How many impressions per hour can the machine do? At what cost per impression?

Unless I am making a mistake, when reading over the specs posted in the OP, the numbers just don’t add up!

Stephen Marsh

What model?

Unless I am making a mistake, when reading over the specs posted in the OP, the numbers just don’t add up!

Stephen Marsh

If it's just black and white the 4100 is the only infoprint machine there is. InfoPrint 4100 - Ricoh Production Print

If my understanding / math is right one couldn't get it done in 21, 8 hour days but if you are getting something of that magnitude I would think you would run more than one shift.

I would have outsourced this head-ache instantly to a much bigger printer that can do it with ease and promise on deadlines etc and marked it up like only a cent or two - a markup of 1 cent would give you 20 000 just for handling the job between - which is better than the risk of missing deadlines and other risks associated with such big jobs.

Please note, this is what would have suited me - I'm a much smaller operation than you - but if I've learnt one thing in print, find a balance between cash-flow and risk and offset the two by out sourcing if in doubt -

What model?

Stephen Marsh
Two infoprint 5000VP machines in tandem. Each engine can produce 2960 A4 impressions per minute. So that is 5920 duplex impressions a minute. 5920×60×8×21=59,673,600 A4 impressions.

I have no idea what this would cost. And that is with just one duplex Web printer if he got two it would no problem as long as the finishing could keep up. This is possible

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back