What is the top notch packaging digital proofing

gcplau

Dear All,

#1 Can you share what's available in the market, the top notch packaging digital proofing system?

#2 Can the same system also handle cutting?

#3 Why the in field people in our region say that digital proof by UV inkjet printer is not very well accepted in the packaging industry due to the physical proper of UV ink that is thick enough on the substrate and can be felt by hand touching it?

#4 I am looking for a good packaging proofing solution that can produce and exceed ISO-12647-7 delta-E, high standard of pantone matching; and be able to print on various substrate. FInally if printNcut is included would be lovely.

THANK YOU

Last edited:
I've been waiting for a set of proofs from Epson printed by their Stylus Pro 9900 on Carolina 18pt C1S.

Go to:
Request a Print Sample: Epson Professional Imaging
Choose Printer: Epson Stylus Pro 7900/990
Sample Type: Packaging Proofing
The description:
"This print sample kit contains a package proof printed on the Epson Stylus Pro 7900 printer using Carolina Cover C1S 18 pt. It also includes a product brochure and an Epson Stylus Pro Media Guide."

I requested this weeks ago and haven't heard back. Any vendors want to help? Is anybody else out there using a Epson 7900 or 9900 on actual C1S media?

We print inkjet on a HP Z2100 on a standard proofing media and as requested we provide a Fuji FinalProof on the actual job media for our proofing. I have looked into the Epson WT7900 (It prints white) but I think that an Epson 9900 if we can print on actual board would be preferable for anything that doesn't go on metallic stock or need to proof metallic inks.

Budgetwise US12000 to US20000

Budgetwise US12000 to US20000

Hi Michael, based on this budget, what do you suggest?

to Chevalier

to Chevalier

Hi Chevalier, Epson x900 uses pigment ink, it needs to print on coated or treated substrate; it's neither UV ink or latex ink or any specially-formulated ink; thus, it cannot print on actual printed stock like the fujiproof you mentioned. You many be heading a wrong direction. For e.g. if you want a printer to print on the actual c1s paper (coated 1/side) which the coating is made for printing ink and not inkjet ink, it's likely wouldn't work.
Correct me if I am wrong.

That was my understanding as well and was why I was pretty excited about this. Perhaps IP has specially coated Carolina for this purpose?

about the fuji final proof

about the fuji final proof

Hi Chevalier, Fuji Finalproof seemed stopped production, it uses thin layer thermal transfer technology, and it laminate it's film on actual stock like Fuji Colorart does; but have you measure the stability and against ISO 12647-7 standard? There're reason it stopped production and obsolete?

We do not hold our FinalProof to any ISO standard. We manage spot color accuracy by mix swatches provided with the proof via an in-plant ink department. I'm not quite sure what ISO standard and Delta E tolerance they hold to but I do know it is extremely tight.

Last edited:
Received the Epson package today. The proof looks really impressive but this isn't vanilla Carolina C1S Cover, its got a special coating its shiny like a Kromekote. It's a shame but not an unexpected one.

Epson WT7900

Epson WT7900

Received the Epson package today. The proof looks really impressive but this isn't vanilla Carolina C1S Cover, its got a special coating its shiny like a Kromekote. It's a shame but not an unexpected one.

I'm looking for a vendor capable of producing a proof on silver foil. Can you help?

Looks impressive. Please give us your thoughts after the demo!

We are installing an Epson 9900 with Spectroproofer. I plan on following up with my experiences.

I have not had any first hand experience of the Roland but my guess is that it will not have a wide colour gamut like Epson 7900 / 9900 so it may be disappointing for spot colours.

If money is no object then I guess a Kodak approval with separate cutting & creasing table would be best solution i.e. wide colour gamut for spots & ability to laminate to most substrates.

Looks impressive. Please give us your thoughts after the demo!

We are installing an Epson 9900 with Spectroproofer. I plan on following up with my experiences.

We are a Kodak master distributor, so the Kodak Approval is our top of the line piece of kit for (packaging) proofing. Brand owners still specify the Approval as the only accepted final proof. We also offer the Epson 9900 with inline UV filtered spectro, driven by Kodak Proofing Software - Kodak Matchprint Inkjet System. This is of course not in the same category as the Approval.

The Roland is perhaps better suited for packaging mock-ups and short run packaging production. It is supported by major industry proofing players such as GMG, EFI etc. The Roland appears to offer better white printing than the Epson WT 7900, however it is early days yet.

We have not even looked at colour accuracy or proofing as of this time, or even how close it can come to various Pantone colours etc. We were only looking at the Roland driver today, not third party RIPs. The demo was well received, however much more testing and consideration is needed. The LED UV curing, print & cut/crease and gloss/texture options are good, not to mention the ability to print on varied substrates up to say board 1mm thick (paper, board, film, foil etc - including production substrates, not just ones specially made for the Roland with appropriate coating as found in the non-led cured models).

Best,

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
I'm looking for a vendor capable of producing a proof on silver foil. Can you help?

I have been looking into the Fuji Final Proof option myself as it does have metallic capabilities as well as being able to proof on just about any substrate. I recently had some metallic proofs run at C&L Graphics in Van Nuys, CA. Very good shop who does a lot of packaging prep and color work. You may want to give Bruce Zeigler a call @ 818-785-8310. They have customers all over the country and have numerous proofing devices.

We have all three-

Approval NX, Roland LEC-300, and Epson 9900. They each have their uses, if anyone wants feedback on the UV Roland shoot me an pm.

patrick

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back