Which OS are you?

ajr

Today I have decided I'm only 7.5! I can only really handle one thing at a time, I just play one CD (with my caddy obviously) any minor problems I can sort out myself without getting an "expert " in. I have a (fast) scsi interface so I can use my legacy devices. I need extra video cards and could always do with more memory and my hard drive is very small.

AjR :)

Commodore Vic-20 - ancient, not much memory capacity, slow, and a bit stiff.

- gordo

Laser 128 (by VTech). It was an Apple //c clone.
One of the very few manufacturers that was able to produce them without copyright, trademark or patent infringement.

I use Linux Ubuntu. It doesnt run any of the normal grahpics/prepress programs, so it make my life much easier :)

-Sev

I started with an Atari 800.

Same here, Atari 800....I had a special $300 card in the floppy drive that would allow to copy sw. I used to get a magazine that had the code for a program every month. I would spend hours typing it in and sometimes days troubleshooting but once I could not get it to work. Next month the magazine stated it had a typo....arrrrggggghhh

regards,

Mark

What was the OS called when we had the finder, before the multifinder…before the cache processor that needed to be turn on or off repending on if you were running Aldus Persuation or the Rip. At least that's how I feel just now… seems I need to restart to get start another task and just when things seem under some kind of order it's lika a bomb screen appears ;P

My second computer, I still have it in storage somewhere. DOS 3.22....it has a third party card that would break the 640 k RAM barrier, allowing me to go to 2 megs. Unfortunately, I could not afford 2 megs, but went to 704 K. I have the original 2 floppy drive version

OLD-COMPUTERS.COM musem ~ Compaq Portable

Same here, Atari 800....I had a special $300 card in the floppy drive that would allow to copy sw. I used to get a magazine that had the code for a program every month. I would spend hours typing it in and sometimes days troubleshooting but once I could not get it to work. Next month the magazine stated it had a typo....arrrrggggghhh

regards,

Mark

And I'm sure you only used that special hardware to make backup copies of your legally purchased software. There were two monthly magazines for the Atari 8-bits, Antic and Analog. I can't remember which had the error in the code. I wish had the room and foresight to have saved those magazines, but they all got thrown away. If you want to go down memory lane, check out this web site:

Classic Computer Magazine Archive

Commodore 64! ... and went through FOUR of them! The house I bought had an old A/C system that wasn't terribly efficient, so create a sprinkler system that attached to the humidifier solenoid to spray the outside coils with water when it reached a certain temperature. I got curious about how often it was turning on/off so used my C-64's user port to bring in signals from the circuit. Not having a ton of patience I'd mess with the breadboard while the C-64 was powered up and naturally brush a wire to ground and fry the C-64. Boxed it up, took it back to Target and said "broke" and they gave me another one!

Only reason I went through just 4 was because we only had 3 Targets in town at the time.

Great machine. Still angry with Commodore for the way they screwed up the marketing on the Amiga though! ... what an awesome machine. WAY ahead of it's time back then!

jack

Widows 7 is the best OS I have ever used... XP is fairly good, too, but Windows 7 is still better optimized for high performance, more functional, stylish and more contemporary and advanced on the whole.

I'm a Texas Instruments TI-83 graphing calculator.. Small, good at what I do (which isn't much unless you really know me), expected to do everything all the time..
And all the design students at our local college love me because I save their a$$ when it comes time to get the homework turned in.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back