Who handles your color managment?

Wow! I haven't checked this thread in a little while now and am happy to read the amount of responses posted. Thank you to all that have contributed. Keep em coming!

As a consultancy we set up companies systems using existing or additional software/equipment. carry out necessary training and give support which with todays remote desktop apps is quiicker than ever.
the point being that like a car that has ts engine tuned and adjusted the driver needs to know where to put oil and water but not be a mechanic.
once a colour managed workflow is correctly set up, doing some specified routine standard checks are alll that is required to keep it sweet.
as an example i compare the 79/9900 epsons with spectro built in driven with efi rip- a totally automated completly accurate colour reproduction sytem and compare with the recently demised chromalin process.

Edwin

the point being that like a car that has ts engine tuned and adjusted the driver needs to know where to put oil and water but not be a mechanic.

That's a good analogy I would say. In my experience most production workers are like car drivers. They know how to drive, maybe change the oil and adjust tire pressure. Some think they are mechanics and when they disassemble part of their engine they realize that they can't put it back together and must go see a real mechanic. The mechanic is the one who knows the inner workings of the engine and has the expertise to diagnose and repair it. This comes from experience, understanding how to use instruments for measuring and monitoring and a willingness to continue to learn and stay up on the latest trends.

In my experience there are a lot of people in this industry who "know color" but know very little about color management, and in some cases shun it.

The best candidate is someone who is technical and analytical and, as much if not more importantly, wants to understand the intricate details of color management. Having a scanning or color retouching background is definitely a plus. Although in theory color management is about reproducing color by-the-numbers, in reality that hasn't been completely achievable. I myself do the majority of our color management tasks. I'm strong on the technical side but weaker on the color side, having never been a scanner operator or retoucher. However one of my coworkers is a long time "color guy" who is pretty well versed with color management as well. Between the two of us we can get over most hurdles.

And as with the car analogy there is alot of "do it yourself" tinkering going on :p
Put a veteran mechanic on a new car with a microprocessor controling everything and his real would experience can sometimes be a hinderance. Also it takes time to know a mechanic, and it boils down not just to knowledge but diligence and quality control. Yes thinking in analogies can cast a light on your own processes.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back