Why does solid yellow have dots in it?

CliffSpielman

My goal is to be able to print solid process color backgrounds on my Versant 180. So when I have a background that is y=100. all else=0, then I'd like to not see any other colors or dot pattern. Under a magnifier, all I'd like to see is yellow and maybe whatever pits and valleys the paper may have.

I've noticed that when printing objects on either my Versant 180 or my $200 Canon laser printer, that solid yellow backgrounds have dot patterns of what looks like magenta (or maybe red). This is when I print from InDesign, Photoshop and Acrobat. When I say "solid yellow", I mean that I'm specifying y=100 and 0 for the other three CMK. First I thought it was a Versant issue, or maybe an InDesign issue, but then I tried the same thing in PhotoShop, printing to my regular ol' Canon laser printer.

Some background...on my Versant 180...when I print calibration patterns for doing various adjustments, the yellow bands appear to be solid. I don't see any other colors in their. Also, from InDesign to my Versant, I can specify different screen patterns in the print driver settings, and I see the dot pattern change, e.g. Stochastic to something else. So, I don't think we're talking about a toner or drum issue. This is a completely regular and deliberate pattern/behavior.

When printing solid Red or Magenta, I don't think I'm seeing dot patterns of other colors, or if it's there, it's yellow and harder to see. (my red backgrounds do look a little orangy, so I wouldn't be surprised)

I'm aware of the Steganography (spelled right?) which are the tracking/identification dots used to identify a press. This isn't that. I think those are usually yellow anyway and less plentiful that what I show in my attached photos.

What I'm hoping here is that the answer simply shows a lack of understanding that I have, so I can learn from it and move on.

Thanks in advance for schooling me.

Attachments

• IMG_3948.jpg
    IMG_3948.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_3950.jpg
    IMG_3950.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 400
What you have here is color management trying to match a certain color, rather than "print by the numbers". You need to use the press DFE instead of printing directly from your applications. Send a well defined PDF to the DFE, disable color management in the job's properties and see what comes out.

What you have here is color management trying to match a certain color, rather than "print by the numbers". You need to use the press DFE instead of printing directly from your applications. Send a well defined PDF to the DFE, disable color management in the job's properties and see what comes out.

I had also tried packaging from InDesign and then printing the resulting PDF to my Versant, and I had the same dot pattern results. I wasn't sure what settings to specify in the PDF creation to address this. But I'll take another look. Maybe I need to choose a different PDF preset, or maybe there are specific color settings I need to understand.

In Job Properties / Color / Color input / CMYK source: Set to Bypass conversation. You can also try ColorWise Off and see which one you like better. If you need CM for other elements then you can use Substitute color function for setting an input of 100Y to output 100Y only. Or you can set the 100Y as a Spot Color and assign it 100Y in the Custom Spot color library.

This is a normal operation. The yellow that is used in digital printing uses a tiny bit of magenta to closely match the "yellow" that is used in color management in the printing industry.

In Job Properties / Color / Color input / CMYK source: Set to Bypass conversation. You can also try ColorWise Off and see which one you like better. If you need CM for other elements then you can use Substitute color function for setting an input of 100Y to output 100Y only. Or you can set the 100Y as a Spot Color and assign it 100Y in the Custom Spot color library.

I tried doing Bypass Conversion in the print settings and it works. That's awesome, thank you. I'll look at the other variations you mentioned soon, but i imagine the output will be the same. But I'm often wrong. At least I know how to control this, solid colors are actually solid.

Thanks again.

Hi there, we can also try the Pure Primaries option whenever printing solid colors. we will be amazed that when you print solid cyan , magenta or yellow, it has no dots of other color mixing with solid colors unlike when we apply in Full Output GCR or Full Source GCR. We are talking about Efi Fiery Software Command Workstation. Thanks.

In Bypass conversion, only calibration set is taking effect but no color conversion is active. hence, color reproduction is taken into account on this matter. One better practice is whenever printing solid colors especially C, M, Y, or K, we opt to choose Pure Primary. Whenever there are halftone or skin tone to consider, try to use Full Output GCR. Hope it helps. Thanks.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back