Why pick a HP 5000 or higher above a HP 3500

UK Printer

We are about to install a HP reconditioned 3500, the rep says the quality printed on this machine is no different to the quality available on the 5000 and above, basically they're all the same engine.

Is there any major reason why people don't want the HP 3500's?

The 3500 is capable of duplexing up to 350gsm, we need to put 400gsm and the HP trials were run on a 5000 press, and the quality of the samples was mind blowing, very impressive indeed.

Considering we are litho offset, we have the quality bar set pretty high.

I'm just looking for a little clarification of what im being told, i'm not bothered about the speed of the egine, its all about the quality.

We had some samples run last year on a nexpress 2500, the nexpress would be much easier to install, but i dont think we could produce 'litho' quality work on the kodak, what do you guys think?

appreciate your help as always.

We had a 3500 and I actually liked it better then the 5500. The 5500 is more like a copier then a press. It has 4 media drawers, Can run 13x19 substrates with no change over time. The feeder on the 3500 is more like a regular printing press. One color 12x18 will run faster on a 5500 (8000/hr instead of 6). Seems to me we got a better click rate as well because the machine is more bullet proof.

more money...

more money...

I was head scratching over the same decision, seems like almost everyone goes with 5500, but the cost is a huge jump and the best I can figure is all you get is:

1. faster b/w printing (the 3500 still is crazy fast for 1/1)
2. extra feeder drawer (I think feeder is slightly different, but with 3500 I go from 60# text to 16pt cover without any problem)
3. remote viewing, you can see press UI from other clients computers

so if those things look like they are worth $100K more in investment go with 5500, if not don't feel like you are giving up anything as far as quality or throughput, HP may make you feel that way...

Just to set the record straight:

• 5500: 4 drawers, supports PIP enhancement, bigger sheet 13x19 and wider print area for e.g. 6-up US postcards, 8000 1/0 sheets per hour, white ink capability, supports light cyan/magenta inks for photo printing, support fast ink replacement, heavy substrate kit for up to 400gsm/18pt. "More like a copier" = hahaahaha...
  • 5000: out of production and replaced by 5500 press, but you can get them reconditioned. 3 drawers, supports PIP enhancement, white ink capability, supports light cyan/magenta inks for photo printing, support fast ink replacement.
  • 3500: out of production and replaced with 3550 press. 2 drawers. Max sheet 12.5x18.5 (-ish), 4000 1/0 sheets per hour. Up to 7 inks but no DFE support for white or light C/M; supports IndiChrome CMYKOV inks & spots like the other two. It is a fine machine if it does what you need.

The mentioned "remote viewing" is available on all of these. All print 4/0 at 2000 sheets per hour. Halve that for 4/4. All support up to 7 inks. Print quality will be identical for all.

Feeder drawers on 3500/5000 have a curved bottom plate so heavy stock must sometimes be pre-bent to feed reliably and even then it can be iffy. 5500 has a flat bottom plate & no need to bend heavy stock. The feeders of the 3500 and 5000 are identical aside from the number of drawers. The 5500 feeder is a completely different design.

If I was only ever going to print CMYK then I would choose the 3500. The 5000/5500 is a better choice for printing spots, white, or photos. Hope this helps, probably too late ;)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back