Workflow for a unique enviroment

CSimpson

If you were making about 40 to 80 plates a day and 95% of everything you printed was created in Word and Publisher what type of workflow would you choose to drive your CTP? Why?

Last edited:
we pull 10,000 plates a week and everything comes from Word or Publisher. we created a Job Option and supply Acrobat Standard to everyone and use PitStop Server and Apogee. Why - becauise it works.

I would make RGB PDF files from MS Office apps. I would then use Acrobat Pro at a minimum to create correct one colour black text. Further to this, a plug in such as Callas pdfToolbox and or Enfocus PitStop. How many operators do you have doing file prep/prepress? It might be worth looking into a server based solution. A lot of this will depend on budget and or productivity expectations.

Then there are other things to consider, such as imposition, Workflow software, plating etc.

Hope this helps,

Stephen Marsh

One person in pre-press. It is a school system, so the files could be coming from 3500 people all of which know nothing about creating proper files nor do they care. They are generating the pdfs with the Office software. Our volume in the coming years is growing exponentially due to new state regulations, so we will be printing an immense amount of testing materials most of which is designed by teachers. At this point I am just trying to figure out what is feasible and what isn't, and if it is how much does it cost.

At a minimum you would need Acrobat Pro for the file prep, in creating a CMYK PDF from an RGB PDF, with correct 1 colour black text/lines from 0r0g0b elements. Due to the way that MS Office handles fonts, my advice would be to only accept PDF files if you have that option. That being said, you may also need to have MS Office on the same platform/s as your clients, if you also need to accept native files (as changing the source file may be helpful in some cases).

Do you only need one colour forms/materials with solid text instead of the presumed CMYK? This is also possible with Acrobat Pro.

You should be able to setup Acrobat based folders for batch processing multiple files, although a dedicated automation system would be more productive.

At least you can start small and then work your way up to more extensive and expensive solutions as your needs grow.

Stephen Marsh

As a one-person prepress department, you'll want to do as much as you can to automate preflight and file optimization. As some of the others mentioned, RGB black text is probably the biggest offender. It's an easy fix for most preflight programs. Acrobat Pro is a good start. If you find yourself having to re-size documents to various sizes or adjust individual elements (e.g. replace a logo), you'll probably want a PDF editor.

The materials that you are printing - are they 4 color, 2 color, etc.? Are they generally multi-page docs? If so, how long?

Greg

It would be 4 color, saddle stitched booklets, anywhere from 8 to 40 pages, run lengths of 3500 to 4000.

Questions ( we have a few )

1. You mention that the 'customer' has access to authoring applications ( Word and Publisher ) and I assume some manner to send / upload / FTP the PDF files they create - yes ?

Do you offer some online instructions that might help guide them on what to do ?

Do you offer blank templates they can use to fill in / use ?

What are you using today ?

Are you imposing the PDF files ( if so, what are you using ? )

What are these being printed on ( example, if these are 8.5 x 11 finished saddled stitched booklets created by folding 11x17 sheets in 1/2, are you printing on 12 x 18 and trimming ? )

Are these self cover, or are you using a different stock for the cover ?

If I had access to a clever programmer type, I might consider using Enfocus SWITCH.

http://printplanet.com/forums/enfocus/20032-flow-questions-powerswitch

Exporting to PDF and then using something like Quite Imposing might also something to investigate.

Many PresWise customer ( I work for PressWise ) build online Wed2Print storefronts for this sort of "please upload you PDF into our template" user experience - not sure if that is something you would consider.

If you are prepared to do a deep dive, you could build you very own Self Publishing, Book Printing and Publishing Online - Lulu type online tool - while that sort of project might sound massive - you always need to ask "what if i have to double or triple my monthly through-put?"

Several third party storefront systems ( Like Pressero, PageFlex, PageDNA, Red-tie.com ) use our API and send via SOAP a 1 up multi-page PDF files that are multiples of 4 with an XML data file and we convert this in PressWise into an 2-up multipage ( but imposed PDF ) - the XML also contains the Quantities, Bill to and Ship to and all the other things you need to process and order.

Not trying to 'sell' you a PressWise system, just trying to help you understand that this can be as automated and 'look Ma no hands' as you are willing to program.

Good luck - hope you find something that fits your budget.

FYI - back in 2002 I worked for Enfocus, and what you are talking about was done - by Microsoft - for RR Donnelely - by Microsoft's Colleen Isabel - at Microsoft - on a Macintosh! She used Enfocus PitStop and Quite Imposing - to create the manuals for Word ! Each country had to localize the manual into Japanese, French, Russian, etc.. and they would create the RGB PDF files and send them in, and she would convert from RGB into 2 color PDF files ( Black and Spot Blue ).

No idea what they do now ( not even sure they print manuals anymore )

I would investigate a portal system that allows them to print from Word or Publisher to you and you distill on your end, run through Pit Stop Server to automate preflight and corrections, then into Apogee to impose, trap and hold for release. Exported pdf files from MS programs are a pain.
You will only need to interceed when a error pops up.
Each member would have to install your printer driver and that is all.
Page sizes, etc would be controlled by your print center.
Not hard and almost fully automated.

He has 3500 customers sending crap - this is a easy, automated one man shop way to correct this without a huge investment in time or money.
PDF form any MS product is crap and getting 3500 people to install Acrobat Standard is tough so....

He has 3500 customers sending crap - this is a easy, automated one man shop way to correct this without a huge investment in time or money.
PDF form any MS product is crap and getting 3500 people to install Acrobat Standard is tough so....

I am pretty sure I would prefer 3500 different people sending me PDF files where I can modify them into print ready PDF files with my 1 single location with one copy of PitStop and one copy of Quite Imposing...

your way requires contacting 3500 people and getting them to change their approach, install something on their computer...like that is actually going to happen at some school. If they have Word, then can save as PDF, they do not need anything else. They just need to understand what settings to use, which is much simpler than asking them to install something - these computers are often their own personal computers. Besides - Printing to PostScript is deader than Dillinger.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back