Workflow for Packaging and Nesting - what do you suggest?

GianniOSX

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. First of all I would like to introduce myself, I have been in the printing industry (offset, commercial / newspaper) printing for the past 14 years. I used to manage a Pre Press / studio department and used mainly Agfa software, Preps (Kodak) and Adobe.

Recently I have been looking into packaging software to see what's available, in a nut shell I am looking for a software with nesting capabilities to maximise sheet usage and would work with our existing Agfa Apogee software. Ideally a software that can combine .dxf (cad layouts) and PDF or JDF since we feed our Apogee PDF files (ready imposed). We are currently imposing/nesting the files manually using Illustrator, which off course it can work with low volume of work but will not be feasible with high volume!.

I know Kodak have a product called Pandora and also I read about i-cut layout. What are you guys using and what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Jon

PANDORA Step-and-Repeat Software - Kodak Graphic Communications Group

Works with Apogee ( was developed by Scenic Soft, makers of Preps, which was then aquired by Creo I believe, the Creo was aquired by Kodak ( i think that was the sequence )

I also used an adobe illustrator plug-in named PaSharp from Founder that performed nesting - was fast and easy to learn

Founder Electronics - PaSharp

Back when I worked for Compose Systems, we sold that ( here is a short blog post - sorry - the video is missing )

Compose Color Blog: PaSharp Nested Step & Repeat

here is a video;

AnchorTool.mov - YouTube

here is their video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnKo-D7CQCg

Hope that helps !

I used to work in packaging but currently am in financial printing. I have 44 years in the industry (yes I'm an old man) and by far the best software that I've ever used in packaging is Artpro. It is kind of expensive from what I remember, but there isn't anything it can't do, especially trapping, nesting, importing die cuts to strip to, etc. You should definitely check into it.

Thank you everyone for your feedback, this truly is a very informative forum! I will have a look at the above mentioned options.

Thanks again,
GianniOSX

PANDORA Step-and-Repeat Software - Kodak Graphic Communications Group

Works with Apogee ( was developed by Scenic Soft, makers of Preps, which was then aquired by Creo I believe, the Creo was aquired by Kodak ( i think that was the sequence )

I also used an adobe illustrator plug-in named PaSharp from Founder that performed nesting - was fast and easy to learn

Founder Electronics - PaSharp

Back when I worked for Compose Systems, we sold that ( here is a short blog post - sorry - the video is missing )

Compose Color Blog: PaSharp Nested Step & Repeat

here is a video;

AnchorTool.mov - YouTube

here is their video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnKo-D7CQCg

Hope that helps !

Dear Michael, the PaSharp plug in for illustrator looks interesting! do you know if it is still available?

Update: Sent an email to Founder, awaiting feedback :)

Last edited:
[Disclaimer: I work at Tilia Labs, maker of Phoenix]

Hi Jon,

AI plugins like PaSharp or DeskPack could be a good fit for you, but you might want to also try out Phoenix which has advantages depending on your situation.

Some of the differences you will find with Phoenix compared to AI plugins or Pandora:

* Powerful ganging engine that generates optimal nested cartons/label layouts in a single click
* Unique CAD-less workflow for building layouts quickly with PDFs and exporting final die layout as CFF2 or PDF for post press cut
* Most accurate artwork to die auto snap available, positions just about anything into place
* Special tools for resolving problems in DXF and other CAD formats
* Up-to-date estimating and reporting on sheet usages, press time, cost, etc.
* Auto-synced die positions across front and back sides for double-sided work
* Extensive dynamic mark system
* JDF Export

I also want to mention Phoenix is running in a number of production Apogee environments. Contact me if you want to learn more and we look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!
Scott

Hello Jon,

If I understand right, you are looking for the software who can nest files of carton packaging to CAD layout for die-cutting.

Standard step&repeat tool for Apogee JDF Packaging feature (it's separate license and costs some money) is Esko Plato (since version Apogee X version if I remember right 4 till present Apogee Preprees 8). You need to make all the step&repeat work in Plato and send resulting packed JDF file to Apogee Prepress. JDF Packaging TP (It's input TP like Hot Folder for example) parses incoming packed jdf file from Plato and as result you have CAD layout with masks and files of nested packaging. So after that you can change files of nested packaging individally (unfortunately masks are linked to CAD layout and can be changed only in Plato). Thats really all possible functionality for nested of packaging in Apogee Prepress.

Best regards, Alex

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. First of all I would like to introduce myself, I have been in the printing industry (offset, commercial / newspaper) printing for the past 14 years. I used to manage a Pre Press / studio department and used mainly Agfa software, Preps (Kodak) and Adobe.

Recently I have been looking into packaging software to see what's available, in a nut shell I am looking for a software with nesting capabilities to maximise sheet usage and would work with our existing Agfa Apogee software. Ideally a software that can combine .dxf (cad layouts) and PDF or JDF since we feed our Apogee PDF files (ready imposed). We are currently imposing/nesting the files manually using Illustrator, which off course it can work with low volume of work but will not be feasible with high volume!.

I know Kodak have a product called Pandora and also I read about i-cut layout. What are you guys using and what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Jon

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back