Workflow

Violet

We are currently implementing a new MIS - Dynamics AX - and it has brought up many questions about the workflow within the company. I would be interested in knowing the workflow in other companies from initial customer contact to getting the job out the door. I am particularly interested in how customer artwork is handled.

I guess you spent a lot of money on it. The reason you are all confused is that this is not designed for printing industry (despite their effort) but for any industry. like you would create a printing press that can be converted for the textile industry.... The problem with the Navision is the user interface not too friendly. There are MIS solutions half the price with very intuitive interface so no matter your user will be ( some quit the companies, some new ones are hired) there is always helpful to get a simple solution but efficient and trustfull.
The workflow is simple: CRM- organise campaigns....get feedback into crm...send quotes...follow up in crm....close quote with an order....convert quote in an order....issue job bag....check stock+stock allocations....send material request to vendors...stock receipts......plan entry day in production....send proof approval.....produce....stock....delivery note...invoice.

At least this is how Accura is working. And all is easy.

Florin

Workflow Best Practices and Dynamics AX

Workflow Best Practices and Dynamics AX

The challenge you face with a non-printing industry specific software product like Dynamics AX is that you must configure it to your current or desired workflow. Unlike a printing industry product, where you more-or-less "tweek" it to fit your workflow. What you really need to do is some process and value stream mapping to document your current and future workflow so that you can properly configure and implement Dynamics AX.

Our consultancy has been re-engineering order workflows for printing organizations for over 15 years and there is not one solution that fits all. You need to come up with a workflow that works best for your organization, customers, product lines, niche, business model, etc. You can contact me directly if you want to discuss some ideas. [email protected]

We from ADAM (www.adamsoftware.net) are convinced that the process from gathering data (files) from Design over Prepress until delivery of files or plates, including possibly Web2Print, approval cycles, ... can be managed with our on-board business process management system. Have a look at : Workflow Studio

Everything which is (workflow on) numbers and figures, please leave it in the ERP or MIS but let it be clear that there indeed should be automatic communication between ADAM and the ERP.

Microsoft NAV and AX are by the way names I hear more and more in the "graphic world" and you can find Navision partners who are focussing on ERP applications based on Navision for Graphic companies.

We have been developing DataManager since 1993, which has both Asset Management and MIS functionality, or we can digitally interface with virtually any existing MIS system. Our main focus has been providing Prepress tools that can help them mange from file ingestion to delivering a set of plates. Many MIS systems are too rigid or awkward to handle the change order requirements to manage prepress issues. You can visit CSS Group Home Page, or give me a call to discuss.

Steve MacKenzie
1-800-448-8432

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back