Xerox 700 Registration Problem across sheet.

SteveW

Hi all,

We have just installed a Xerox 700 and are seeing bad registration on stocks 150gsm or above.

The registration moves all over the sheet. When we run a 300gsm xerox paper SRA3 size the magenta in particular moves all over the sheet. It will be in register in one spot then 90mm to the left it is out by up to 1.5mm then move down the sheet some more and it is 1mm out the other way.

We have had technicians and analysts out and it is definitely the machine. We are being told that it is just what that engine does. They ran tests on the showroom machine and the techs training machine and both of these were out (the showroom machine looked the best)

Are any other Xerox 700 users out there having this issue. We see it the most with lots of toner coverage.

Would love to know if it is a xerox problem or just isolated to the machines we have looked at.

Thanks

Steve

Attachments

• 700reg.jpg
    700reg.jpg
    751.7 KB · Views: 300
Xerox 700

Xerox 700

Steve: We have had the 700 for over 1 year and it is great machine. We have never experienced the problem that you have. I also know of 2 other printers in my area who have the machine and they too have never had this problem. I can understand that whole sheet being out of register to the cut lines(poor cutting on your part or failure to align the sheets in the oversized tray) but 1 color out makes not sense. This is a machine problem. My suggestion is that if you do not get satisfaction locally from Xerox you must call corporate. I don't local corporate I mean the main office to Xerox and yes ask for the President of the company. I am telling you that this will work.

Xerox 700

Xerox 700

Steve: I did not notice you are from AU-so call main corporate there. Anyhow, X700 Specs are 1 mm per side-but that is movement of the full sheet not the image-ie magenta being out of register. We have some great techs here. I will contact one tomorrow and get back to you

Hi Steve

I am in Aus and have just had a X700 installed this week. So far I have done a big run on lighter stock
(80gsm) and it was fine but i have run some 160gsm duplexed, 250gsm and 300gsm double sided and the regi has been brilliant not to mention the print quality. We have not yet done fine tuning for all the stocks so I am rather impressed. I hope it lasts!! The colour registration used to be a problem on our old machine which was a DC 5540 which my tech tells me is a similar engine to the 700. Magenta and yellow were the worst out of reg colours but they could always fix it for us when it started to happen. This is now just our back up machine.

The techs should be able to fix the colour being out of registration. Have a look at the CED and if it does not say that this is an accepted allowance (with 'colour' registration not 'image' registration there should be NO allowance) then they have to find you a solution. Go straight to the top.

I hope they find a solution for you.

Steve: Xerox also has Total Satisfaction Guarantee. In short if they cannot get the machine running according to specs and hold them-INSIST ON A NEW UNIT. Just say you have had and you want a new unit.

it looks like a sw issue to me : trapping

whatever RIP you have, turn on/off the Auto Trapping, and also play around with the screening options.

Most of these sw features will change how the CMYK dots are placed in the paper by the engine.

If you have a Fiery, print it with a CREO; if you have a CREO, print it with a Fiery.

Thanks for the feedback.

Xerox are going to try another engine as it may just be a lemon. But they are seeing it on other machines so it may be inherent to this engine.

It is defiantly not software (trapping) as it moves around on each sheet. The first sheet out is very close then the next sheets all move out at different amounts.

Xerox tried it on there 280gsm silk yesterday and it looked bad.

The CED does not mention colour registration (between colours) at all. There is a spec for it but it is not in the CED. I was told that the techs have a lot of specs that are not in the CED. There is an allowed movement on a 100gsm A4 LEF of .8mm (I believe) but start talking about SRA3 300gsm and they say they do not have a number for the allowed movement.

They have taken the sample prints to Japan this week as the head Tech in the country flew out this week for meetings and they will hopefully have an answer soon.

To be fair to Xerox they are willing to take the machine out under the total satisfaction guarantee.

Apparently Australian machines have an Asia Pacific firmware and the believe that this may have been fixed in the USA firmware and will ask Japan if this is the case to have the modifications rolled into the Asia Pasific firmware asap.

From a technical perspective it looks like (without a loop) the magenta drum clock is out of sync with the rest of the machine at this line speed (running faster than the other drums).

To me it looks like the yellow and black are ok, not much cyan to look at. We have this sometimes and it's usually down to a corrupt Non Volatile memory in the machine, On konica's you just recall the factory data and your away.

You say your using Xerox paper, I'd suggest you check the grain as this kind of thing can happen with long grain paper as well.

Steve: I spoke with a few people here in the USA and they say one thing only-get a new machine. Too much is going on. You need to start over. The more you try to find a solution the more time YOU spend and thus lose money. The sole and only purpose to have the unit is to make money. It needs to work everyday-day in and day out. We have the unit for about 18 months and do about 50,000 a month on the unit. We have had a few problems here and there. We were only down once when the machine would not operate-a mirror went out of adjustment-. We had some problems with fuser rollers but Xerox redesigned them and those problems are gone. Your problems go to the essence of the machine-the heart- when that does not work the rest of the body dies. Tell them to bring a new machine in and that you will no longer pay the lease until you get one. Also, show them this site and all the communications going on. The reason for this is to let them know "Printers are talking". It is bad for their business that this goes on and they will want it to stop because it amounts to positive advertising for KM,Canon and the like..

If you have a Fiery, print it with a CREO; if you have a CREO, print it with a Fiery.

Now how in the world are you just going to pull a Creo out of thin air if you have a Fiery? The last time I got a quote on a front end for my 8000AP was something like $21,000.00.

Now how in the world are you just going to pull a Creo out of thin air if you have a Fiery? The last time I got a quote on a front end for my 8000AP was something like $21,000.00.

I meant, go to Xerox and test it with a different RIP just to discard the problem.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back